Living outside of the US with a Second Nationality Already

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Living outside of the US with a Second Nationality Already

Postby geospain » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi Everyone:

First time posting here. I think this a great site and really appreciate all of the information on here.

Here is my question:

I am American born citizen that has legally been living in South America for the last couple of years.

I am trying to figure out what consulate will serve my goal best for the application process for receiving Italian citizenship.

I am legally considered an expatriate of the US (as per my tax filings).

I am also a legal Peruvian citizen (passport included) thanks to the time that I have been here.

There is an Italian consulate in Lima, Peru. I am not sure if the fact that I have a second citizenship will be a problem with the Italian consulate in Peru which is something that I will need to find out here in Lima.

Initially, I was planning on applying in Philadelphia with my uncle at the same time, but it looks like they ask for proof of state residency. I have a Miami, Florida drivers license, which means the Miami consulate for me if I decide to go that route.

My family history concerning immigration was from Italy to the US and has nothing to do with Peru which is the reason I was thinking about applying for citizenship at an Italian consulate in the US.

1) For proof of residence, do they only ask you only for your driver's license?

2) On the application, does it ask you if you have a secondary nationality?

3) Will the fact that I already received a second nationality due to marriage, affect my Italian right for citizenship?

Any hints or thoughts are very much appreciated.

Thank you for your help on this.
geospain

Re: Living outside of the US with a Second Nationality Alrea

Postby CPA21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:39 am

You can only apply at the consulate where you are resident. Since you are a resident in Peru you would go through the consulate in Peru.

If you can establish residency for the purposes of the Italian consulate in Philadelphia you can probably ride in with your uncle. Miami would probably not be some place that you would want to use as the wait for an appoitment was recently reported as 21 months. The again I have no idea what the wait is in Lima.

What would it take to establish residency for Philadelphia or Miami? A driver's license and a utility bill would be just fine. I suspect a driver's license and a bank statement, credit card bill, or the like would also work. What you need to appreciate is that you would need to physically appear at the consulate to present your application.

As a practical matter you can use your uncle's application for your appplication. Obtain copies of what he submits and the file number. You pass that information along with your orignial documents. All your US documents need to be apostilled, transalated, and authenticated by the consulate that has jurisdiction over them before you present them to theconsulate in Lima. The practice of having the applicants have the authentication of the out of area documents done in the US is an emerging requirement.

As for the Peruvian citizenhip, you obtained that through marriage. You did not renounce any citizenship that you currently possess. The consulate does not care.
CPA21

Postby geospain » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Great advice. Thank you for such a detailed response.

I looked at the wait here in Lima. It's something like 4 years!! I am looking at options to legally be a resident of Philadelphia, so that we can all use one set of documents and then obviously our personally required documents as well. There are actually about five family members of us with all of the same desire and practically all of the same paperwork. Will they group all of us together on one appointment if we decide to go that route or do they have each appointment separately?

I also have two other options which would be NJ or NYC where my parents and brothers live. Not sure of wait times. Assuming that my uncle and cousins do their paperwork in Philadelphia, can my brother and I use those papers to piggy back of of them in NY/NJ? How exactly does that work?
geospain

Postby CPA21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Your relatives in NY and NJ would fllow the same precedure. They would present copies of what your uncle provided in Philadelphia.

As for the grouping. Some consulates will allow everyone to apply at once. Others will not and will insist on waiting for parents to be recognized before children.

Since this is your Uncle the common ascendant you are both using will be at using is his parent and your grandparent. The original documents you would need to supply would be your parent's birth and marriage certificates and your birth, marriage, and minor children's birth certificates. This is what you would be supplying if you were applying with him in Philadelphia or independently at another US consulate. I do not know enough about the practices in Peru to express an opinion.
CPA21

Postby geospain » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:02 am

CPA21 wrote:
"Your relatives in NY and NJ would fllow the same precedure. They would present copies of what your uncle provided in Philadelphia."

CPA21 - Assuming that I do my papers in NJ, I have two questions:

1) I would just present:

a) Regular photocopied paperwork from what my uncle turned in at the Phili consulate. Obviously what my uncle turns in will be translated, apostilled, etc.

b) My original documents birth certificate and the other fun stuff that relates to me?

2) Is there a deadline of how many months I can use his copies for?

Thank you for such detailed knowledge. Your answers have helped my family out greatly.
geospain

Postby CPA21 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:11 am

The reason why you can use copies is because you will be referring the consulate to your uncle's file. As long as the file is readily available there should not be a problem. I do not know how long the file will be available. The practices I am describing are current practices. These practices can and do change without notice.

The other fun stuff that refers to you would need to start with your parent.
CPA21

Postby geospain » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Just so I understand the last piece. Based on your helpful information CPA, the plan is going to be that my uncle is going to file in Philadelphia. Assuming that my uncle gets his appointment first, my brother and I are both going to use copies of papers that my uncle will have filed in Phili. My brother will file in NYC and I will file in Miami.

Let assume that my brother in NYC gets his appointment first. He will turn in his original papers as well as our parents marriage certificate and birth certificates all with their correct stamps and certifications.

Can I use a copy of my parents documents that my brother already turned in at the NYC consular or do I need to also turn in my parents original certified and apostilled papers?
geospain

Postby CPA21 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Theoretically you can use copies of your parents' information but it may not be worth the trouble. Currently you will be referring the consulate to a file in Philadelphia. If you also need to refer them to your brother they will also need to look at a second file from NY. I would not do it because it is too complex.
CPA21

Postby Juicy852 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:02 am

Thanks for the great reading
Juicy852

Postby geospain » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:34 pm

Speaking about Piggy backing... My line is as follows.....Great Grandfather > Grandfather > Mother> Me.

My mother is 70 and is not really interested in getting her citizenship at this stage in her life.

1) Can I just go through the process without her (obviously using all papers related to her)?

2) My uncle (My mother's brother) is going to go through with getting his Italian papers. Can I piggyback off of his file?

My uncle called the Phili consulate this morning, and they made it seem like I had to piggyback off of my mother or just do all of the papers myself.
geospain

Postby CPA21 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Will you be applying at the same consulate? If so, you should not need to present the same documents they already have on file. You would need documents that start with your mother.

When is your uncle going to the consulate? I would suggest going with him. The worst they can do is say no to you at the meeting. You should also get your own appointment. Make sure that you do it for two people as your uncle may need to return.
CPA21

Return to Embassies and Consulates