San Francisco Consulate changes

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

San Francisco Consulate changes

Postby Karena » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:55 pm

I have heard that the citizenship department of the SF consulate is shut down for lack of personnel. Anna Maria Stone is now working in visas, apparently. Anyone know anything about this?
Karena

Postby Giuseppe » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:00 am

That is simply incredible news! The reason that San Francisco is so backlogged in the first place is that Ms. Stone went to Italy for some time and was not replaced at the consulate. How can this be?
Giuseppe

Postby Karena » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:15 pm

I guess the consulates in general are far understaffed, and are getting more and more applications for citizenship all the time. It looks like they don't put this function of their office super-high on the priority list, unfortunately for us. My appointment is at the end of January -- I'm hoping that something might have changed by then.
Karena

Clarification

Postby vlsb35 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:11 pm

I also have my appt with the SF Consulate for my dual citizenship in lat January...Are they not processing dual citizenships...I have heard that Ms. Stone was gone for a long time...if they are not processing dual citizenships, where do we have to go then? Los Angeles? Sacramento?
Does anyone know?
Grazie,
V
vlsb35

can anyone help please? no one has responded...

Postby vlsb35 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:32 pm

I also have my appt with the SF Consulate for my dual citizenship in lat January...Are they not processing dual citizenships...I have heard that Ms. Stone was gone for a long time...if they are not processing dual citizenships, where do we have to go then? Los Angeles? Sacramento?
Does anyone know?
Grazie,
V
vlsb35

Postby Tiffany » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:06 am

I don't, but I know Ms. Stone is no longer in charge of citizenship requests. I'm not sure who her successor is, or if there even is one!
Tiffany

Postby Em » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:37 am

This may be nothing to be concerned about. I would tend to doubt that the citizenship office is now closed. At the end of August, there was a change in personnel in NY, and this may well be the case in SF. Without question, the people who work on these applications become "burned out" quickly, so sometimes it's a good thing to have a new person in. Perhaps, too, they are doing what NY is doing--adding additional personnel; so think positively.
Em

GRAZIE

Postby vlsb35 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:52 pm

Thank you Em for the positive thoughts. Sometimes we all get so bogged down with the frustrating process and it is a wonderful relief to get some hopeful feedback...THANK YOU Em...

I am going to go down to the SF Consulate to make sure...after tirelessly gathering all the ncessary documents and gathering the money to do so, it is so important to me to have my Italian Citizenship as I also own a home in Italy. I still have to re-confrm my appointment just in case.

Let's all try to keep positive thoughts as we all are on this long journey to get our VISAs and Citizenships. I know that the consulates are all busy and I am hoping that they are doing the best they can to accommodate the requests and paperwork.

Buona Fortuna Tutto
vlsb35

SF Consulate

Postby ciaobella » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:56 pm

Can you let me know what happens in SF? I submitted my application last January and hope this is not true.

Grazie!
ciaobella

Follow-up

Postby vlsb35 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:07 pm

Dear Ciao Bella,

I would follow-up with the SF consulate...perhaps go down there in person if you are able to do that.

I still do not know if my appt in January for my dual citizenship is confirmed...I will be going downt here to ask in person when I have a free afternoon soon.

Hang in there.

BTW: I was told that once you submit all you paperwork at the consulate for your Jure Sanquinis.....you can be in Italy with a "Waiting for Citizenship" status...
I am not sure of the official title. You should look into this as I am not an authority but have heard this from many friends who now live in Italy full time.
vlsb35

Postby Karena » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:53 pm

Well, the consulate's new website is up at: http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/C ... nFrancisco

Scarily, they seem to have taken down their large section detailing how to get citizenship iure sanguinis. In fact, in their citizenship section, they tell you how to get just about every other type of citizenship but this kind. Also there is no announcement or update regarding the status of those with citizenship appointments or anything. Hmm...I'm thinking of just doing this in Italy.
Karena

Postby Tiffany » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:37 pm

I'm glad they finally got it together and got the website up, but that's just silly that they don't talk about citizenship via jure sanguinis. What are they trying to tell the public? That they no longer process jure sanguinis applications? I'd call them to ask, but good luck getting them on the phone. At this rate, I'm starting to think that you may have the right idea - go to Italy!
Tiffany

Postby arg1 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:29 pm

This is a bit worrying. I'm also going through the SF consulate. Looking at the website in the citizenship section, it does seem to address jure sanguinis citizenship but under those different categories. I haven't been on the messageboard in a while, there haven't been changes to Italian citizenship requirements, right? It seems more complicated than what was posted before they redid the website. I've also been trying to get an appointment with the consulate, but have been unable to reach anyone. Any ideas? Thanks
arg1

Postby Em » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:23 pm

I, too, visited the website of the SF Consulate, and I understand what you've all been saying. Please understand, though, that the requirements for jure sanguinis citizenship have NOT changed despite the SF Consulate's unwillingness to specify the documentation that is required.

Perhaps they decline to do so because this information is so readily available elsewhere; perhaps the lack of specific information allows them to evaluate each case on an individual basis; perhaps they have many many applications and are trying to make things more difficult. Either or all are possibilities, but without doubt it is disconcerting that they barely mention jure sanguinis.

This is unfortunate in that those who reside within the consular jurisdiction are effectively prevented from obtaining the information that is so necessary for applicants. Perhaps someone who has an appointment already scheduled with the consulate obtain some information and share it with us.
Em

Postby Karena » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:57 pm

Well, I just sent them an e-mail asking them to let me know if my appointment at the end of January is still good, and also to update me on the wait time for processing applications. I told them if it was too long I would do it in Italy, and that I would share this information with the many others who wanted it, so I really hope they answer me! Otherwise I may attempt to call on Monday. I've never been able to get anyone on the phone, ever, and the only person who's ever returned any of my e-mails was Anna Maria Stone, so I'm not expecting much, but here's hoping!
Karena

Next

Return to Embassies and Consulates