applying in Italy

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

applying in Italy

Postby laura » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:16 pm

Has anyone applied for citizenship in Italy or know how to do it? I have heard many contradicting things about the process. It has been such a nightmare wait here! I was told that it would probably be quicker to apply in Italy.

Thanks for your help.
laura

Re: applying in Italy

Postby Melinda » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:12 am

laura wrote:Has anyone applied for citizenship in Italy or know how to do it? I have heard many contradicting things about the process. It has been such a nightmare wait here! I was told that it would probably be quicker to apply in Italy.

I agree with you that the late is extremely long and at times almost ridiculous (I'm at a 2 1/2 year wait and I put in my papers last year!). I'm living in Florence and will hopefully make it to the office here to get more info.

The only thing I was told (at least here in Florence) is that you have to be an official resident. Although a document I received from the consulate in the US states that anyone who comes over can apply. So already, things are not clear...

Here is an excerpt from the document I received:

In accordance with Circular n.28/2002 issued by the Italian Ministry of the Interior, people of Italian descent may be registered in the “Anagrafe” of the Comune where they are staying as long as they have a valid alien registration document (“permesso di soggiorno”) of any nature and duration, an essential requirement for applying for recognition of Italian citizenship by descent in Italy.

This means that an American citizen, for example, may go to Italy as a tourist with all his/her certified, apostilled documents, obtain a "permesso di soggiorno per motivi turistici", register in the Anagrafe of his/her Comune, and apply for recognition of citizenship at the Comune. In this case all INS, Census, National Archives documents relating to the citizenship of the ancestor also need to be translated. In Italy translations should be obtained from official translators (“traduttori giurati”). The Comune will contact all pertinent Consulates to verify that neither the applicant nor his/her ascendants have ever renounced their right to Italian citizenship. The website of the Comune of Perugia is one site that offers instructions for applying.

I'll try to check this out here in Florence and get back to you. The only problem here in Florence is that there are a lot of foreigners who are also trying to get citizenship (through marriage, etc.) and so the wait might already be long because they are so busy. Besides, the office is only open three days a week for two hour intervals. :-)

Take care,
Melinda.
Melinda

thanks

Postby laura » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:08 pm

thanks for reply. let me know how it goes in Florence. Good luck! :)
laura

Postby Melinda » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:47 am

Well...good news! The rule in Florence is just that you must have a valid Permesso di soggiorno (Permit to stay) and be an official resident here.

I went to the wrong office yesteryday...and today I went to the right office and got information.

I'm supposed to bring all my documents, apostilles, translations (with a stamp of approval on each), write up a document in Italian stating all of the information and lineage.

And, supposedly depending on how much work they have. I can get the answer within 1 to 2 months! :-)

That's the best news I've heard all year!

So, my only problem now is how I'm going to deal with the minor name discrepancies on a few of the certificates.

Good luck!

Take care,
Melinda.

P.S. I also came across this website if anyone's interested in an extended visit to Italy to get citizenship: http://www.emigrareinitalia.com/
Melinda

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:42 pm

Hey, that's great!

I just have a few questions if you would be so kind as to answer.

Concerning your translations:
Did you have your documents translated while you were in the U.S., if so, by whom.?

Where did you get the translation authenticated (stamped)?
I know U.S. consulates do it, but I was wondering if maybe you had it done in Italy.

Did the stamp have to be on each translation page? (i.e the page in Italian wording out a birth certificate, or a marriage certificate, or a letter, etc.).
My common sense would have me to believe so.

I'll list some steps I assumed one goes through, please correct/rearrange if applicable based on your process.

1)At the Questure apply for your standard PdiS for tourism within 8 days.
2) At the Comune present (only show) your vital records and application form for a PdiS upgrade to PdiS per Attesta di Cittadinanza, in order to obtain a receipt from them. Also show proof of health insurance.
3) Obtain francobollos, code fiscale and pictures.
4) At the Questure present the receipt obtained from the Comune and the francobollos, code fiscale and the pictures to receive an upgrad to PdiS per Attesta di Cittadinanza.
5) Maybe at the comune, present proof of residency.
6) Once the police verify your residency and you obtain the slip from them,
7) Back to the Comune. This time you bring the paper from the police verifying your residency, and your PdiS and your vital records and submit it all.

I think that's how it goes.
Please make any adjustments based on your knowledge and experiences.

Thank you for your help.

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:09 am

First off, let me say that I am not an expert and that I only know what I have found out by going to the Comune and the Italian Consulate in SF. I might be moving my file to Italy, but it depends on where I'm at in the queue in the US.

Anonymous wrote:Did you have your documents translated while you were in the U.S., if so, by whom.?
Where did you get the translation authenticated (stamped)?
I know U.S. consulates do it, but I was wondering if maybe you had it done in Italy.

I got all of my doucments translated by ICGS. As for being authenticated, each individual translation will be authenticated. When I spoke to the Consulate in the US, they said that they handle that when they receive the files from the Comune, but at any rate it is the consulate in the US who will do this.

Anonymous wrote:I'll list some steps I assumed one goes through, please correct/rearrange if applicable based on your process.

1)At the Questure apply for your standard PdiS for tourism within 8 days.
2) At the Comune present (only show) your vital records and application form for a PdiS upgrade to PdiS per Attesta di Cittadinanza, in order to obtain a receipt from them. Also show proof of health insurance.
3) Obtain francobollos, code fiscale and pictures.
4) At the Questure present the receipt obtained from the Comune and the francobollos, code fiscale and the pictures to receive an upgrad to PdiS per Attesta di Cittadinanza.
5) Maybe at the comune, present proof of residency.
6) Once the police verify your residency and you obtain the slip from them,
7) Back to the Comune. This time you bring the paper from the police verifying your residency, and your PdiS and your vital records and submit it all.

As for here in Florence, you must be a resident in Italy before applying. From what I was given by the consulate, it says you just need a permit. (I think I posted that on this forum somewhere). So, I believe the steps are as follows:
1. Get PdiS.
2. Get Citizenship.
3. Go to Comune to file all of your papers and receive a letter to upgrade PdiS, although you might not need this if your PdiS is about 3 months since the process here should be much quicker.
4. Wait... :-)

If I were you, I'd contact the people at this other website http://www.emigrareinitalia.com/ as they have information about the process and can help you get a PdiS, etc. I didn't need to go through them for any of that because I already have a PdiS and residency here in Italy.

Take care...and good luck!
Melinda.

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:53 am

Great, thank you!

I believe on step 2 you meant possibly, get residency.
After all citizenship is what we are applying for. If we had it in step 2, we would all be excited! :)

Ok, good luck to you!

Thanks again for the post.
And of course keep us updated as I will as well.

Postby Melinda » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:04 am

Yes, you're right...I meant "Residency." :-)

Definitely keep in touch...which city are you planning on going to in Italy to get residency?

Take care,
Melinda.
Melinda

Get PdS and Recidency

Postby Anonymous » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:04 am

Melinda,
Is it difficult to get the Pdis and residency in Italy?

I have been in Greece for 10 months with my husband trying to get him Greek citizenship and we are giving up because he is missing some papers. My family is applying for Italian in SF - but I might try myself in Italy if it is faster. Getting residency in Athens is not so easy - what about Florence?[/quote]
Anonymous

Postby Melinda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:14 am

Is it difficult to get the Pdis and residency in Italy?

I have been in Greece for 10 months with my husband trying to get him Greek citizenship and we are giving up because he is missing some papers. My family is applying for Italian in SF - but I might try myself in Italy if it is faster. Getting residency in Athens is not so easy - what about Florence?

For the Permesso di soggiorno, I believe you can go to the Questura within the first 8 days of your arrival and request it. You need to tell them that you're trying to get citizenship in Italy. You might need to give them documents to that effect as well as documents stating that you will provide for yourselves financially while in Italy--meaning that you don't need work to live here. I'd suggest going immediately so that you can obtain whatever documents you'll need.

Once you have your PdiS, you can go to the Comune and request residency. The important thing is that wherever you're renting an apartment, you must be able to request residency. Some places will not let you claim their address as your residency.

I believe you'll have to wait one week for them to check the residency of where you are (which means a police officer will come to your place and make sure you're there somewhat officially) and then a few more weeks to make sure you're in the system. Afterwards, you can go to the office to start filing papers for citizenship.

Things are fairly straightforward, but you do need to do them in order.

Good luck!

Take care,
Melinda.
Melinda

I'M SAD

Postby Anonymous » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:08 pm

Dear Sir!

I would like to receive some information about obtaining itallian citizenship.
My name is Andy I am 29years old, two months later I am going to marry with my girlfriend in Italy. My girlfriend is an Itallian citizen. I'm working and living in Ukraine now.
I have decided to applicate for citizenship after six months since our marriage registration.
we are going to reside in Italy.

I have researched some information from internet but i did not find persuasive information about
"citizenship application procedure".
During my research, meanwhile i found Your email address and i decided to ask You some questions.

*After our marriage registration with my future-wife,
if I applicate for citizenship(6.months later), how much time does it takes my citizenship obtaining procedure approvement?
If i wait for 6months after our marriage for making application for citizenship, is it automatically?

after this 6months, how much months or years I have to wait for granted citizenship? Wich process I have to pass?

*Could You possibly help to us about the procedure?

*If You can't help, could You provide me to some consultant department or somebody else?

*Is our marriage registration enough for obtaining for citizenship or necessary some another conditions?
Wich conditions?

Note: After marriage we are going to reside in italy rental home.

faithfully Yours,
Andy Terzi
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:27 am

Signore Terzi, After you marry an Italian citizen in Italy, you may apply for Italian citizenship, after 6 months of living in Italy. As for how long it would take, will depend on the comune in which you live or apply. It could be more immediate, to several months. Nobody can give you an exact date, as to how long it will take. You did not say where you are from, except that you are living in the Ukraine. Certain countries of the Ukraine area, are already part of the EU. If you are already a EU citizen, than you can easily obtain residence in Italy. If you are not a citizen of the EU, than you will need a Visa. Contact the nearest Italian Consulate of your jurisdiction. There are no other conditions you need to meet, to obtain Italian citizenship, when you marry an Italian citizen, other than legally living in Italy with your wife for 6 months.
Anonymous

6 months resided and marriage conditions...

Postby Anonymous » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:59 pm

i wanted to ask also,

is there anybody knows some exprienced consultation firm who can help me?
Or is there anybody knows some foreigner couple who obtained citizenship by way of marriage after 6 months reside registration?
Anonymous

Return to Embassies and Consulates