Can you apply for citizenship in Italy?

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Can you apply for citizenship in Italy?

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:14 pm

Hi there! I have about 95% of my paperwork ready and will have all of it done in November. I will be traveling back to my families home town in Late nove. Can I apply for citizenship in italy while I am there?

Thanks,
Noelle
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:17 pm

YES, you can.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Angiolo,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. What office do I need to go to in the Comune? My italian is not so good, but I have a cousin there that can help me. He is also in contact with the "president" of the village as well, but I need to comunicate clearly what I need. Any information would be appreciated.

Noelle
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:36 pm

cnmonteleone, there are no "presidents" in the comunes. The presidents are in the "regions". You are probably refering to the "sindaco" of the village. If your language skills are not good, than have your relative do the talking for you.

As for applying in Italy, I am personally against it, unless you have a particular reason for doing so. I am all for applying at the consulates.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:42 pm

Thank you again for the reply. My cousin called the official a president, but he must mean sindaco. Are you against it because it is harder to go through the process there?

One reason for doing it there is that I will be there soon, another is that I also need to have the italian document apostilled while I am there. I originally have been working with myitaliancitizenship.com for all of the documents, but the italian certificates need apostilles from italy. Myitaliancitizenship has not returned my request for these, so I figured i would take them myself and apply whil i was at it.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:52 pm

cnmonteleone, Italian documents do not require Apostilles, nor certification, as the "stamp" is the only certification necessary for the consulates. also, the naturalization certificates do not need an apostille or certification, or translation.
don`t waste a trip to Italy for no reason. If you wish to apply in Italy that is fine, but I just do not advocate it
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:08 pm

Italy is a family vacation, so no sweat about that. I must have misunderstood needing an apostille for some of the certificates, thanks. One more question and I promise, no more...Where should I get my American documents officially translated?
Anonymous

Postby marybary » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:11 am

cnmonteleone, You must have residency in Italy in order to apply for your citizenship here and it is not an easy overnight process.

ICGS can translate the documents for you. You can also check with your local consulate. Usually their webpages will list official translators or they can refer one to you.
marybary

Return to Embassies and Consulates