Philadelphia

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Philadelphia

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:25 am

no website? no one answers the phone? is it just me?

Philly

Postby IanS » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:18 pm

Their website was down for a short while, it is back up now. They ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO REACH. I find myself calling back and dialing extensions 128 and 148 constantly. It is easiest to reach them closer to 4pm their time... late afternoons seem to be when the phones get answered. If you have ever been to that office, you know that it's a "zoo".. and filled with people waiting, and even standing to get in... so just be patient and persistent.. keep calling back. And know that when you do call back.. its a roll of the dice.. depending on who picks up the phone. Some people are ultra helpful.. some.. well..... not so much.
IanS

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:09 pm

:?:

Has anyone actually been successful in getting their Italian citizenship through the Philadelphia Italian consulate? I was told that they normally process an application for JURE SAGUINIS in 5 months-our application has been with them for 7 months now & we haven't even had the decency of an acknowledgment of receipt of our application, or given a reference number for our application.

Is this the norm? Do the Italian Consulates not have some complaint department or Ombudsman scheme does anyone know? I just don't understand how a government office can be run so poorly.

Philadelphia Consulate

Postby Angela » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:00 am

I have also applied for dual citizenship through the Philadelphia office, and I had to go in person many, many, times to get any kind of help! I was told three weeks ago, when I turned in my paperwork that nobody will even be able to review my documents until July! They are short staffed and back logged five months. However, the consulate in San Franciso is backed up over a year so maybe we should consider ourselves lucky! A woman did actually receive her dual citizenship for her whole family while I was there on my last visit though. I spoke to her while I was waiting, so yes, it does happen!

This whole process takes a lot of work and patientce, as does living in Italy with their old ways of doing everything ,so all I can say is wait it out. It will be worth it.
Angela

Legal Help

Postby Concetta » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:36 pm

Are there any legal avenues we can pursue in order to obtain citizenship?
Concetta

Philadelphia

Postby GDT3 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:29 pm

I have read all of the negative comments about the Consulate in Philadelphia and I am surprised. In fact if I didn’t know which Consulate everyone was complaining about, I would think it was the Vice Consulate in Pittsburgh. I found them to be rude and very useless.

I found the staff in Philadelphia to be very helpful and courteous. They even translated all of the documents written in English into Italian at no cost to me.

In 2003 I applied for my Italian citizenship through this Consulate and had quiet a different experience.

I discovered this website and started my quest for Italian citizenship on July 27, 2003 and by March 2004 received confirmation that my Italian citizenship was recorded in the Commune of my Italian ancestor and I was eligible to vote, which was the only document that I ever received from Italy.

In June of 2004 I applied for an Italian Passport and received it in July.

I started to collect all of the required documents in July 2003 and only made one trip from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia on October 16, 2003. I presented all of the documents at this time and within one week received a letter of congratulations from the Consul, stating that all of the documents had been validated and sent to Italy to be recorded.

The best recommendation I can offer to anyone dealing with Philadelphia is to make sure all of your documents are in chronological order when they are presented in Philadelphia. Also make sure that you include one photo-copy of your driver license and USA Passport with your application and supporting documents.
GDT3

Philadelphia Consulate

Postby mfk » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:26 am

Ciao a tutti,

My advice to everyone having issues with the Philadelphia Consulate is to contact your comune in Italy directly--even if you have to get someone else who speaks Italian to do it. Of course you should wait a reasonable time (at least six months) from handing in your application at the Consulate, though, because you don't want to start being a pain too early ;)

Here's my story: I applied with my dad in Philly in April of 2004; they sent him a letter that the request was approved and the docs were sent to Italy in December of 2004. I was shocked at how quickly it went through!

Hold the excitement, though, as we have heard *nothing* more from the Philadelphia Consulate, even though I miraculously got a hold of someone twice on the phone (both times I was told the previous woman with whom I had spoken didn't work there any more).

In May of 2005, I checked with the comune in Italy, and they said they received and recorded my dad's docs, but had nothing of mine. He *still*, over a year later, has not received anything from the Consulate saying anything.

I called the comune a few days ago (June 2006), hoping they at least at had my records by now, and thankfully they do (although I never got a letter saying they were being sent), and are in the process of recording them.

So I will give them time to record (a week the nice woman said), and then I will follow the path of IanS, I believe, who went around the Consulate's mysterious "Welcome to Italian Citizenship Packet" and try to get a passport just from a declaration of citizenship and birth record directly from the comune. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, and for anyone who remembers filling out the A.I.R.E. form for Italian citizens residing abroad...the Consulate didn't send that with my docs to Italy, which will further prolong the process, I'm told, b/c I can't change my residency in Italy (I'm currently living in Italy but not in the comune where my records are being recorded). I think this may also affect how long it takes to get a passport, but we will see.

In sum, my advice is to try to avoid this Consulate if at all possible. My experience started out OK (over 2 years ago), but if you're in a hurry to get your docs in order, this isn't the place. Of course from reading the rest of the board, there doesn't seem to be a decent place to go.

Comunque...in bocca al lupo!
MFK
mfk

Postby GDT3 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:58 pm

Ciao tutti,
I guess I must have been lucky with my application and communications with Philadelphia...I must admit that it seemed to take a long time to recieve my Italian passport when I applied for it in June 2004. I had to call them after 6 weeks, but then I got the passport in a week.

Ciao
GDT3

Philadelphia Experience Still Waiting

Postby ravphilly » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:31 pm

I sumitted all my documents in August of 2004 and am STILL waiting for a response. I was at the Consultate in April to check on my status and was told that the office in the Rome Commune where my grandfather was born was very backed up.

Have any of you dealt with Sergio Barbieri the Citizenship Officer there? He is new and has been more helpful than the others but still he does not promptly return calls or e-mails.

He suggested going to Rome in person to expedite things. Anyone tried that approach?

I'm frustrated!

Bob
ravphilly

Return to Embassies and Consulates