Dual Citizenship

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Dual Citizenship

Postby Liz » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:07 am

I am wondering if a stepchild is able to get dual citizenship if both parents of the stepfather are Italian citizens. Both stepgrandparents are living in Australia but are not Australian citizens. Cheers :?:
Liz

Postby Em » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:27 am

Your post is a bit confusing, but I'll give it a try. If the child's grandparents are Italian citizens and never renounced, then the step-father is also an Italian citizen (I assume he never renounced as well). If his stepchild is still a minor and has legally been adopted, he qualifies for citizenship as well.

The father would need to apply for recognition of his citizenship (using his parents' citizenship to prove eligibility) and would also apply for his legally adopted minor stepchild.
Em

Postby yjg » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:41 am

Em, I also have a question about this. My son, his wife and his biological daughter will also be applying along with me. My daughter-in-law also had a child from a previous marriage. Would this stepchild qualify as my son and his wife do qualify? Or would my son need to adopt her legally on paper in order to be included in this? She is a minor child.
yjg

Postby Em » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:15 pm

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I do believe that your son's stepchild would need to be legally his daughter to be eligible.
Em

Postby Tiffany » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:12 pm

In all cases, the child needs to be legally adopted by the Italian parent and the adoption needs to be recognized by Italy before the child is eligible for citizenship. If the child is a minor and the adoption has been recognized, citizenship is automatic. If the child is over age, he/she will be eligible to naturalize as an Italian citizen in five years.
Tiffany

Postby marciatrouton » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

So if Maddy is legally my child and I am eligible it should follow that she can be a citizen even if they only recognize me as the sole parent. I guess all I can do is be honest and give it our best shot. Ironically unfair- I am doing all the work for my family and have pursued this from day one studying Italian etc. and the one who loves the family heritage and italy is denied because of a "technicality" Don't want this to be a pity me party but trying to figure out the best of course of action. Marcia
marciatrouton

Postby Tiffany » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:45 am

There's a big if, as in IF Italy recognizes the adoption. They could go ahead and say that since adoption by a **** couple is not legal in Italy, they cannot legalize your daughter's adoption. I feel this is the worst case scenario though. I don't know what else to tell you Marcia, but I'm pulling for you and your daughter.
Tiffany

Postby Em » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:07 am

Marcia, Italy accepts marriages, divorces, etc. from the U.S. I doubt very much that your child's status will do more than raise a few eyebrows. You are certainly eligible and your legally adopted minor child should also be eligible. If she were to be denied on the basis that her other parent is also a woman, I think you would have a strong legal case. (But I honestly don't think it will come to this.)
Em

Postby marciatrouton » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:23 pm

Tiffany thanks for your support, Em, thank you for your words of encouragement, I had come to the same conclusion and was just going to proceed. It hasn't ever raised even an eyebrow in our little town in Italy nor at the borders as it did in CANADA of all places, and they did just pass a co-habitation law against il papa's better wishes. Anyway thanks to you I will sleep tonight but out of curiosity I am going to see if I can get a certified recent issue of the second birth certificate or if it indeed has been sealed. With age of computers this is less likely but all I will get is a letter of no record I guess or the third and final one. Ironically, io non ho cambiato mai il mio cognome from Trouton back to Squeri io ero troppo pigra so she and I actually have my exes last name- I will have her original birth certificate at least translated and have with me just in case they try to go there he is NOT her father Allora, hoepfully if we all go to the appointment brothers and nephews all of whom went to school in Italy and all of us are attempting to learn and speak the language they will be more taken with our sincerity and eligibility than anything else. Ciao thanks again for helping me sleep tonight. I am off to Italian class. Marcia

Marcia
marciatrouton

dual citizenship

Postby raziel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:24 pm

I was born in Sciacca, Sicily in 1946 came to the United States in 1952 through Ellis Island. I am a naturalized united States Citizen. I served in the United States Army for 12 Years . I have an Honorable discharge and I am 100% service disabled Veteran.

My question is : How,Where, to apply for dual Citizenship? do I need to become an Italian citizen? I was born in Sciacca, Sicily province of Agrigento or am I already am Italian Citizen because I was born in Sciacca. In any event, does anybody know what I need to do?

Thank You
Giuseppe Bono
raziel

Postby Tiffany » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 am

You only need to post this once. Em and myself have already answered your other post in the Qualify forum.
Tiffany

Postby David_ » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:53 pm

Have none of you guys considered the fact that the biological parent of the stepchild will get his/her citizenship through marriage? Wouldn't once the parent become a citizen, the child acquire citizenship from the biological parent without the need of the step parent formally adopting?
David_

Postby Tiffany » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:20 pm

In this case, the child is the bio child of the NON-Italian parent. If the non-Italian parent applies for and is granted citizenship, yes the child can be registered as a citizen with that parent if he or she is a minor. This will be citizenship through naturalization. If the child is overage, he or she is SOL.

In any case it is better and faster if the Italian parent adopts him or her as a minor. Then citizenship will be automatic. Even if the child is not a minor, if he or she is adopted by an Italian citizen, he will be eligible to naturalize five years after his adoption.

See, in either case here, the adopted child will be eligible for citizenship one way or another. In the above instance where he is NOT adopted by the Italian citizen, he or she MAY be eligible, but not necessarily.
Tiffany

Postby David_ » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Tiffany wrote:In this case, the child is the bio child of the NON-Italian parent. If the non-Italian parent applies for and is granted citizenship, yes the child can be registered as a citizen with that parent if he or she is a minor. This will be citizenship through naturalization. If the child is overage, he or she is SOL.

In any case it is better and faster if the Italian parent adopts him or her as a minor. Then citizenship will be automatic. Even if the child is not a minor, if he or she is adopted by an Italian citizen, he will be eligible to naturalize five years after his adoption.

See, in either case here, the adopted child will be eligible for citizenship one way or another. In the above instance where he is NOT adopted by the Italian citizen, he or she MAY be eligible, but not necessarily.

I didn't know people could be adopted after they were 18. That's quite new to me.
David_

Return to Italian Genealogy