finding out if your Italian ancestors had siblings

General.

Moderator: Daniel

finding out if your Italian ancestors had siblings

Postby Pagliari » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:24 pm

Hey does anyone know how I can find out if my great grandparents had siblings? When I went to the comune they were able to tell me the names of their parents and my great grandparednt birthdays but not if they had siblings or if their parents had any other children. Now that I am bored waiting for my appointment I thought I'd try again and also thought this would be a good place to ask. I am hoping that if I find their sibs, I can then find their kids and their kids' kids and eventually find out if I have any distant relatives in Italy.
Pagliari

Postby magendim » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Try the local church, they should have baptismal records if there were any children.
magendim

Postby penguindump » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Get back in touch with the Comune and ask for a Stato Di Famiglia Originario. I have one from my GGF's comune; it lists his parents and 9 siblings (with dates of birth, etc..).
penguindump

Postby Pagliari » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try both if one or the other does not work.
Pagliari

not only siblings but living descentants!

Postby di vita italiano » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:06 pm

I wrote letters (in italian) to everyone that was still residing in the Comune with my surname...and less than 3 weeks I rec'd an email from a distant cousin - upon receiving my letter, he and his father went to the comune and pulled our family records to find out that his gg-gf and my gg-gf were BROTHERS!

We are now exchanging stories and pix of our kids and hopefully planning to meet! I never expected to find anyone but I did!
di vita italiano

Re: finding out if your Italian ancestors had siblings

Postby piccola_pampina » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:47 pm

If you write to the comune you can simply ask for the date of births and names of brothers and sisters. Just give the information of your direct line relative if you don't know any names. I just sent out a letter to my family's comune doing just this. I also requested that they send a copy of my letter to anyone they knew, that was related, currently living in the area. Hope this helps! If you need help making such a request in Italian, pm me and I can tell you. I can read, write, and speak Italian well.
piccola_pampina

Re: finding out if your Italian ancestors had siblings

Postby Pagliari » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:14 pm

Wow,

Are the dates wrong on here or is this post really old? I never tried those suggestions yet but I think I am going to now.
Pagliari

Return to Italian Genealogy