Serious help needed:

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Serious help needed:

Postby tonyric » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Last edited by tonyric on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonyric

Re: Serious help needed:

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:31 pm

tonyric wrote:What I am curious about is if there is any way to track down where my GGM was born. Every document that lists birthplace only says Italy. I can find no immigration data on her at all. I do have her parents names so that is a starting point as well as her birth date.

She has been a brick wall that I cannot penetrate. Thoughts anyone? :)

Tony

Tony,

You should consider the very high probability that your GGM was born and raised in the same comune as your GGF. In the mid/late 1800's, people rarely traveled very far from home in their daily life - after all, at best, you had to take a horse and carriage to travel to the next village - easily a day's ride in many cases.
AnotherCitizenToBe

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Oh, and one more thing: If you are not using your GGM as a person in your direct bloodline, you may not require her birth certificate at all; depends on the consulate you will be using.

My application was recently approved (Hooray!) by the New York consulate and, thankfully, they were not interested in my mother's or grandmother's birth/death certificates (I was going myself -> father -> grandfather). I say thankfully because my mother's birth certificate contains numerous errors (which I am trying to get fixed for posterity's sake), and my grandparent's comune was unable to locate my grandmother's birth certificate, even though the official insists that she was most definitly born there.

Word on the street is that most consulates require only docs for the persons in the direct bloodline (including marriage/divorce).
AnotherCitizenToBe

Postby tonyric » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:43 am

They were married in Boston. I have that marriage certificate on its way from the State Archives. I hope that Boston won't require her BC because I am at a dead end with her at the moment. I have found no records on her in the immigration databases, no census data on her before 1920 (they were married in 1910) and of course nothing after 1928 since this is the year she passed. The only thing that is noted anywhere is "Italy" with no commune. I was talking through all of this last night with my wife and we can only come to one rational conclusion; she was an illegal immigrant. Finding information on her in Italy will be a long laborious process. I have her suspected birth date and her parents names, but that is all as it relates to Italy. No records of her or her parents in anything prior to the marriage to my GGF in 1911.
tonyric

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 am

tonyric wrote:They were married in Boston. I have that marriage certificate on its way from the State Archives. I hope that Boston won't require her BC because I am at a dead end with her at the moment. I have found no records on her in the immigration databases, no census data on her before 1920 (they were married in 1910) and of course nothing after 1928 since this is the year she passed. The only thing that is noted anywhere is "Italy" with no commune. I was talking through all of this last night with my wife and we can only come to one rational conclusion; she was an illegal immigrant. Finding information on her in Italy will be a long laborious process. I have her suspected birth date and her parents names, but that is all as it relates to Italy. No records of her or her parents in anything prior to the marriage to my GGF in 1911.

I would not jump to the conclusion that she was illegal. I found my grandmother's immigration records without trouble but my grandfather's took months longer. In fact, I found his ship's manifest only after obtaining his naturalization documents which included the name of the ship and date when he arrived in Boston. From there, I went back to ancestry.com and searched one page at a time through the actual handwritten manifests for that sailing. Only then did I find my grandfather's record. It had been been indexed incorrectly with not one but three letters of his name wrong which explains why I was unable to find the record no matter how many different spellings I tried.

At any rate, it is likely that you will not need her documents for your jure sanguinis application.
AnotherCitizenToBe

Postby matta » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:24 am

tonyric wrote:They were married in Boston.

At least in PA, the marriage license application contained a line for the place of birth of the bride and groom (including the city - just putting "Italy" wasn't sufficient).
matta

Postby tonyric » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:14 pm

matta wrote:
tonyric wrote:They were married in Boston.

At least in PA, the marriage license application contained a line for the place of birth of the bride and groom (including the city - just putting "Italy" wasn't sufficient).

It apparently was in Boston. I am looking at the archive record and it simply states Italy. In fact unless it was a city in the US all entries have just the country name.
tonyric

Postby matta » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:37 pm

tonyric wrote:
It apparently was in Boston. I am looking at the archive record and it simply states Italy. In fact unless it was a city in the US all entries have just the country name.

Hmm... that's unfortunate. And you requested (or performed) a NARA search for her certificate of arrival or ship manifest? It was very easy to gain legal entry to the US back in the early part of the 20th century. Illegal immigration, especially from Italy, was rare because of that.
matta

Postby tonyric » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:39 pm

I am calling NARA in Waltham tomorrow. I am hoping for good information from them.
tonyric

Postby tonyric » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:53 pm

NARA was a waste of time for me. They wouldn't help and then just pointed me to the actual manifests. <shrug> Now I am lost.
tonyric

Postby ofoghlu » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:41 pm

tonyric - shoot me an e-mail with your ggrandmother's information and I'll see if I can help. I just finished up my application process with the Boston Consulate 2 months ago.

:D
ofoghlu

Postby matta » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 pm

tonyric wrote:NARA was a waste of time for me. They wouldn't help and then just pointed me to the actual manifests. <shrug> Now I am lost.

Did you show up in person or pay online for a certified copy? Though it's more expensive (and takes a few more weeks), the online system is basically you paying an archivist to find the file for you.
matta

Postby tonyric » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 pm

matta wrote:
tonyric wrote:NARA was a waste of time for me. They wouldn't help and then just pointed me to the actual manifests. <shrug> Now I am lost.

Did you show up in person or pay online for a certified copy? Though it's more expensive (and takes a few more weeks), the online system is basically you paying an archivist to find the file for you.

I showed up in person, then they listened and pointed me to the microfilm. I have since found what appears to be her record where all information matches other than her first name. She could have used her baptismal name in the US but her legal name for travel. I have requested her BC from Raiana and am hoping that all of her parental information matches the information that I have on hand for her.
tonyric

Return to Italian Genealogy