Success in Finding Location, probably

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Success in Finding Location, probably

Postby piccola_pampina » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share some exciting news that I had found out today. For those who don't know my story, I will reiterate it.

My great great grandfather ventured here with his family in 1893. Another date, 1895, had been suggested, however, was not probable as my great grandfather' was born here in the US in 1894. All this time, my grandmother and other family members had thought that we're originally from Bologna. Others thought Carrara, although I was never told. My great great grandfather had attended the University of Bologna, so it was automatically assumed that he was originally born there. I e-mailed the archivio di stato of Bologna, but have not heard back from them yet. A more recent finding of my great great grandfather's son-in-law's military draft card, states his origin as Carrara. I mentioned this to my dad, and he said he thought we were from there. With help, I've found out that my family is from Messa-Carrara, which makes sense because many family members and friends were marble masons. We have distant relatives who work with stone up in Vermont to this very day. The actual comune is Carrara, as there are a large amount of people with the two last names we're identifying with. The last name also helps since it is not a very popular one.

What have you discovered today about your family history? Who is starting the process? How far along are you?
piccola_pampina

Re: Success in Finding Location, probably

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:47 pm

It's Massa-Carrara, btw. My Italian husband is also from Massa-Carrara (he can speak Carrarino the local dialect of Carrara, it's quite amusing ;)). Small world! If you do go and visit, the actual marble quarries are quite spectacular. They look as if they are always covered in snow and in reality it is white marble. The province is in a beautiful place, five minutes to the ocean, ten to the mountains on the west coast of Italy. Many famous sculptures were made in marble from Carrara, including David. The opening of the latest James Bond film, Quantum of Solace was filmed in the marble quarries and Carrara. Of course, don't believe the distances in that film. From the quarries, they are at Siena in five minutes - not possible!!!
Tiffany

Postby piccola_pampina » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:02 pm

Sorry, typo! :lol: Wow, it is truly a small world. Now that I know where we're from, I'm so eager to go and visit. It would be even more special if I could find out where exactly my family had lived, meaning their house or apartment. I doubt there are any relatives left. If there are, they would be very distant relatives of course. Anyone who might have had contact has already passed away. On the comune website you can see some pictures of the town.

How did you receive your citizenship, Tiffany? Through marriage or blood?
piccola_pampina

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:08 pm

I applied through marriage in February of this year :)

And you'd be surprised... Italians don't move around so much. They tend to stay close to home and though you might not find anyone that is in Massa or Carrara, there are many many towns close by where you just might. One of my ex-coworkers went to look for her ancestral comune down in Sicily and she found an additional dozen relatives (her great-grandparents left)! She knocked on the door of what had been her great-grandfather's house and found them there (well, two of the three families) having lunch all together. They invited her and her family to stay with them and she had a blast.
Tiffany

Postby zagnut » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:57 am

piccola_pampina wrote:Sorry, typo! :lol: Wow, it is truly a small world. Now that I know where we're from, I'm so eager to go and visit. It would be even more special if I could find out where exactly my family had lived, meaning their house or apartment. I doubt there are any relatives left. If there are, they would be very distant relatives of course. Anyone who might have had contact has already passed away. On the comune website you can see some pictures of the town.

How did you receive your citizenship, Tiffany? Through marriage or blood?

Try to get the microfilm of civil records for Carrara at your nearest Family History Center. The birth records are great- show the street address of parents, their occupations, grandparents' names. Lots of genealogical info.
zagnut

Postby piccola_pampina » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Congrats Tiffany! Are you still waiting to finish the process or is it complete?

You're probably right. Some family members may still be there. That would be exciting if it was possible to meet someone. I just sent my letter to the comune today, so hopefully I'll hear from them soon. :) I asked if they knew anyone related that is living there to send a copy of my letter. Wouldn't that be funny if your husband knew someone part of my family? :lol: My great great grandfather's last name was Ratti. His wife's maiden name was Lattanzi.

Zagnut - thanks for the advice! I've been in contact with someone who works with a Family History Center. He's willing to dig up more info for me, however, if he sends it to me, I'll have to pay. Although I would like to give money to everyone who helps, I'm just out of college and like many recent graduates, am "poor". :lol: He just helped me figure out the location, and I'm going to take the rest from there.

How are you applying, or how did you apply, for citizenship? How long did it take for the process to finish? How long did it take you to get everything together. I've started as little as 2wks ago, and honestly, I'm finding things quickly. I thought it would take forever. I just hope there won't be too much of a problem with first name changes. The last names stayed the same, but my relatives americanized their first names. Instead of Edmundo for example, it changed to Edward.
piccola_pampina

Postby Tiffany » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:58 pm

The citizenship Officer gave my application about a year and a half processing time though I'm expecting more, so still waiting :)

We definitely know the Lattanzi family from Carrara. The son went to school with my husband - he's now a lawyer with one young daughter. We don't know any Ratti's to my knowledge though. I'll ask!
Tiffany

Postby piccola_pampina » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:09 am

That's crazy.. I will PM you details of my family tree, Tiffany. I would like to compare if your husband is familiar with the family history.
piccola_pampina

Postby zagnut » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:37 am

Zagnut - thanks for the advice! I've been in contact with someone who works with a Family History Center. He's willing to dig up more info for me, however, if he sends it to me, I'll have to pay

That's a bit fishy- the Family History Center is free (accept nominal charges for renting the films, printing copies etc). This sounds like someone using the free resources at the FHC and charging for it- not kosher.
zagnut

Postby isfour » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:49 am

It's not fishy at all. I put piccola pampina in touch with a professional genealogist and informed her that he does paid research before she contacted him. He DOES NOT work for the FHS; he volunteers there. Volunteers are not allowed to charge people who come into the center looking for help. In fact they are not meant to help them with research--they are just supposed to point them in the right direction. Anyone who likes can use the FHS and charge what they please for doing research for someone. People who do professional research of any kind are not expected to offer information for free because they use the library to obtain their information, are they?

After generously doing a small amount of research for PP on his own time without first having been paid, the genealogist informed her that he would continue to assist her if she liked and he would only charge her once she had her Italian docs in hand.

The people on this board are amazing. You are all graciously offering your expertise and I'm sure that all of us who have benefited from your help can never thank you enough. We all understand that we are exchanging information here to help each other and we do not expect anything in return, except perhaps respectful communication and the satisfaction that comes from helping each other. When you seek out the help of a paid professional, you likewise know what you are getting into. If you are too "poor" to pay, then you don't put that person up to the task in the first place. So, PP, there is no question here of you paying "everyone who helps." You are not entitled to get help from anyone and everyone who is knowledgeable. Grow up.

That said, the genealogist I have mentioned is amazingly knowledgeable and generous. Anyone who needs help in finding his or her ancestors and is willing to pay a nominal fee is welcome to PM me for his info.
isfour

Postby zagnut » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:10 am

I've been fortunate to meet very friendly people on line (when I was overseas and didn't have access to the FHC myself) who volunteered dozens of hours of their own time driving to the FHC, looking through thousands of dim document images to help me, and wouldn't take a dime, even for postage. I sent one especially angelic volunteer a small gift of Italian ceramics,and she graciously accepted it, but that's not why she helped me. It was purely out of the kindness of her heart and because she enjoys genealogy.

Same here and on other boards- many of us spend hours researching questions, not to make a buck, but to help others and because we enjoy it.

Nothing wrong with charging for work. I'd definitely ask around first though, because there are volunteers who enjoy doing the same research for free.

Anyone else here have a story of being helped with your ancestry search by a volunteer?
zagnut

Postby isfour » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:40 am

As long as people are upfront in what they are offering and whether they're going to charge or not, more power to everyone. I am objecting to someone who knows upfront that they are requesting a service that has a fee attached and then telling a sob story to get out of it. The nameless and faceless relationships that we develop online make it easier for some people to take advantage or try to get away with things they wouldn't otherwise do if they were meeting face to face. We are not entitled to others' help, we are lucky to have it. At least that's what I think about it.

For my part, I would not ask anyone to do extensive research for me without offering payment. My time is not more valuable than anyone else's.
isfour

Postby zagnut » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Anyone else here have a story of being helped with your ancestry search by a volunteer?
zagnut

Postby piccola_pampina » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:32 pm

isfour wrote:
The people on this board are amazing. You are all graciously offering your expertise and I'm sure that all of us who have benefited from your help can never thank you enough. We all understand that we are exchanging information here to help each other and we do not expect anything in return, except perhaps respectful communication and the satisfaction that comes from helping each other. When you seek out the help of a paid professional, you likewise know what you are getting into. If you are too "poor" to pay, then you don't put that person up to the task in the first place. So, PP, there is no question here of you paying "everyone who helps." You are not entitled to get help from anyone and everyone who is knowledgeable. Grow up. .

Yes, I was well aware of it when I contacted him. I've already spoken to him about it, so there's no need to be reprimanding me as if I'm you're little child. You very nicely offered me to give me contact information of someone who was willing to help. After that, it's really none of your business. So, really you should grow up.

I'm not entitled to get help from anyone and everyone who is knowledgeable? What the hell is that supposed to mean? I'm not going to sit here and waste my time arguing over a forum. It's very childish.
piccola_pampina

Postby piccola_pampina » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:36 pm

isfour wrote: I am objecting to someone who knows upfront that they are requesting a service that has a fee attached and then telling a sob story to get out of it.

What sob story are you referring to, and where are you reading this?
piccola_pampina

Next

Return to Italian Genealogy