Finding GGGF in Italy

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Finding GGGF in Italy

Postby Jennifer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi all,

I've been a lurker for awhile, but am now registering and posting because I believe I have a claim for jure sanguinis citizenship. My line would be:

GGGF: Born in Italy, approx. 1860
GGF: Born in Bronx, 1902
GF: Born in NYS, 1928
Mom: Born in NYS, 1954
Me: Born in NYS, 1982

My issue is that I know very little about my great-great-grandfather, and need more info in order to get his records from Italy. I know his name, Marco Nuzzo, and that he was from Naples. I did an Ellis Island manifest search, and got the following results:

Marco Nuzzo
Date of Arrival: Jul. 11, 1896
Ship: California
Port of Departure: Naples
Married

He doesn't list his last place of residence.

I then got a certified copy of his son's, my GGF, birth certificate. Marco's age of 42 at his son's birth makes it likely that this is the same Marco from the Ellis Island record. Marco's wife is named Maria Martoni on the birth certificate.

How do I find out exactly where my ancestor is from, so that I can get his records from Italy? I remember years ago my mom saying the Nuzzos were from Salerno, but now she says she doesn't remember saying that. :roll: I've tried the LDS database and Ancestry.com; nothing. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful.
Jennifer

Re: Finding GGGF in Italy

Postby Em » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:21 pm

Have you obtained his death certificate? That may have some information. If he naturalized, the information should appear on his petition. I would suggest that you get a trial membership in www.ancestry.com It is free for the first two weeks, and that may be enough to get the information you need. You may also want to post your family information on www.italiangenealogy.com The posters there are skilled at finding genealogical records.
Em

Postby Jennifer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:57 pm

I haven't requested his death record yet. I'll see what that turns up.

Using what little information I have, I did a naturalization search through NARA and through the local courts in Orange County, New York, which is where he moved while his children were young. Both searches came back negative. I'm about to do a USCIS request just to have all the paperwork in place.

I used the Ancestry Library edition, and got no results for his name. I'll try posting on Italian Genealogy. Thank you!
Jennifer

Postby piccola_pampina » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:14 pm

Have you tried using his Americanized first name on ancestry.com? That may produce more leads. If I were you I would also try to contact the Archivi di stato in Salerno. It wouldn't hurt to try to contact them by sending an e-mail or letter, and see if they have any information about him. Any possible information that you have besides arrival date, like occupation, could help. It may also help to research any relatives or friends who may have come over at the time. For example if you research your GF, maybe some information will pop up on your great great grandfather. If you need any help with translating a letter, feel free to PM me. I speak, read, and write in Italian pretty well.
piccola_pampina

Postby arist » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 am

Jennifer, seems we're in the same boat..same descent line, dates, etc.. although i know now the town where my GGGF came from.
I'm from Orange County NY as well... are you?
arist

Postby idmaclean » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:16 am

have you looked at the ship's manifest?

it should state the town where he is from.

also ancestory is free at most public libraries. if you are near NYC, I would suggest going to the NARA building on Varick St.

I am in Fairfield County CT, if you need any help.

my GGF was born in 1864, and so far it has been hard to obtain his birth records (i have his army papers and passport however). my grandmother was born in 1908 in NJ (still in litigation to get a court order to have her BC created).

so being that your GGF was born in 1902, we are in the same boat as far as the 1912 rule
idmaclean

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:41 pm

arist wrote:Jennifer, seems we're in the same boat..same descent line, dates, etc.. although i know now the town where my GGGF came from.
I'm from Orange County NY as well... are you?

I was born in Orange County, but have lived in Florida for 15 years. My mom's family is from there, though, going back to the 1900's. Both her paternal and maternal lines moved from NYC north early on. Now we're all permanent snowbirds. :)
Jennifer

Postby Jennifer » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:35 am

I posted my query over at ItalianGenealogy.com, and the folks there have been incredibly helpful! Someone was able to find that my ancestor came from Santa Maria a Vico in Caserta within minutes!
Jennifer

Return to Italian Genealogy