Locating adoption records

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Locating adoption records

Postby JSaccaro » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:01 pm

I am pursuing dual citizenship and for awhile things were going pretty smoothly and then I hit a wall. I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice. Here's the story:

My great grandfather came to the US around 1896 and naturalized after my grandfather was born so I know that I do qualify for dual citizenship. I sent off for my great grandfathers birth certificate through this website and got a reply back stating there were no records found. Through a little research and help from another website I found that my great grandfather may have been adopted. On the ship's manifest that my great great grandmother was on, there was a passenger named Giuseppe Firmaturo. He would have been the same age as my great grandfather. However, I can't locate any Giuseppe Firmaturo here in Louisiana or otherwise. I've looked through census records, death records, etc. The town on Corleone, where my family is from, can't locate any records on Giuseppe Saccaro. I'm assuming Saccaro and Firmaturo are the same person. My question is, in order to qualify for dual citizenship, I will most likely need a birth certificate for Firmaturo as well as adoption paperwork, so how do I begin to search for an adoption that may or may not have happened?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
JSaccaro

Postby Em » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:21 pm

Julie,

This is more of a genealogy problem that your need to solve in order to document your eligibility for dual citizenship.

Have you tried the people at: www.italiangenealogy.com

They seem to be quite knowledgeble. The community forum is accessed at the center top of the home screen.
Em

Postby JSaccaro » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:32 pm

Hi Em,

Thanks for the reply. I thought this was an Italian genealogy forum as well. I have posted numerous questions on italiangenealogy.com. I was hoping someone here could offer other suggestions.

Thanks! :)

Julie
JSaccaro

Postby Em » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:30 am

It is genealogy here too, but more geared toward citizenship and obtaining genealogical records. I thought for sure the people at Italian genealogy could help you. Maybe you should try to ask the question again. Someone who didn't see it before may see it now.

I wonder, too, if the adoption was official. Sometimes children were given to other family members for various reasons (illegitimacy, death, etc.), but I get the sense that often in those days families didn't bother with official paperwork. That would, of course make your search more difficult.
I'm assuming you did a Firmaturo search in Italy as well as the U.S. Did you try searching for baptismal records?
Em

Re: Locating adoption records

Postby Destin2BeItaliano » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 am

JSaccaro wrote:I am pursuing dual citizenship and for awhile things were going pretty smoothly and then I hit a wall. I was wondering if anyone can offer some advice. Here's the story:

My great grandfather came to the US around 1896 and naturalized after my grandfather was born so I know that I do qualify for dual citizenship. I sent off for my great grandfathers birth certificate through this website and got a reply back stating there were no records found. Through a little research and help from another website I found that my great grandfather may have been adopted. On the ship's manifest that my great great grandmother was on, there was a passenger named Giuseppe Firmaturo. He would have been the same age as my great grandfather. However, I can't locate any Giuseppe Firmaturo here in Louisiana or otherwise. I've looked through census records, death records, etc. The town on Corleone, where my family is from, can't locate any records on Giuseppe Saccaro. I'm assuming Saccaro and Firmaturo are the same person. My question is, in order to qualify for dual citizenship, I will most likely need a birth certificate for Firmaturo as well as adoption paperwork, so how do I begin to search for an adoption that may or may not have happened?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

May I ask if you're certain that he actually arrived WITH his mother? How old was he at the time? I ask because in my family, we have always believed that my great-grandfather came to the US with his father. However, he appears on an 1903 passenger list coming through New Orleans seemingly alone and it states that his final destination is Bessemer, Alabama where he will be staying with his father. He would have been about 14 years old at the time so he could have easily traveled alone, or at the very least with other people he knew from back home in Sutera which is listed as his previous address. His father's name does not appear on the ship's records. Also, considering his name is actually shown as Giuseppe, and not "Joseph" as he started to be called very soon after moving to the US implies that it was probably his first time arriving. More research shows him again coming to the U.S. this time through NY with his destination being the same area of Alabama, noting his mother's name and that she was his closest relative in Sutera. The age again adds up to being him. Additionally, a record of his father returning to the US from Sutera where he lists his wife in Sutera as being the same person Giuseppe names as his mother. We had always been told that his mother died in Italy and never came here we just all assumed that meant before he immigrated.

If your relative was at an age he could travel on his own I would check into alternate dates. Of course in those days people were considered adults at an age that now a days we wouldn't let our child cross state lines much less the ocean by themselves.

As far as the child listed with your great-great-grandmother, does it indicate the child is her son? I've noted some lists have brackets to show that several people are a family or traveling together. If your great-grandfather had came earlier, his mother may have came when her passage was able to be afforded. The kid with the same first name may have just been a son of a family friend, etc., who was under her watch on the passage.
Destin2BeItaliano

Return to Italian Genealogy