Teaching English in Italy?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Teaching English in Italy?

Postby Marcello » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:41 pm

Hi everyone,

I have discovered that I qualify for dual citizenship and am currently gathering all the necessary documents. I'm also a college student who is pursuing a degree in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). I thought it would be a great opportunity if I could take advantage of my dual citizenship and in the future teach English in Italy. Does anybody know if this would be a realistic goal? Can anyone provide me with information about Italy like living costs, teacher salary, availabilty, etc. I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you!

Marcello
Marcello

Also interested in teaching English in Italy

Postby Lindalee » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:05 pm

I am also interested in learning more about teaching in Italy.
I speak some Italian (am working on it) and also will have citizenhip (jure sanguinis) when I decide to do this.
But is it feasible? Are there jobs? Anyone have any info. on salary range?
I have taught college for the past 10 years--English.

Thanks!
Lindalee

Postby Em » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:44 am

Why not post your question on www.expatsinitaly.com

Many expats teach English; it seems that if English is your first language, that's the job you get. From what I can determine, obtaining a position in a liceo/universita' is difficult. Most language instructors work for private language schools or tutor independently. The pay seems quite low.
Em

Postby jamato » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:31 pm

I have a degree in linguistics and teaching english as a second language. It meant nothing to the folks in Italy-- I suggest you investigate obtaining your CELTA certification. I spent four weeks in Cambridge, England and received my CELTA. It's the one the EU recognizes the most. Of course, the degrees don't hurt :-)
jamato

Re: Teaching English in Italy?

Postby piccola_pampina » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:25 am

I too had been looking for a job for teaching English in Italy. If you google ESL in Italy, numerous sites will pop up for employment. Not much can be found on monster.com. Some schools have specific requirements as to the type of ESL certification you have to have. Not many schools require you to have an ESL degree. Some schools also require you to be currently residing in the area in which you are applying. It all depends on the job and must be researched. Be aware though, there are some shady schools there. The school presents a contract, which is how most jobs are over there. Be sure to review the entire document carefully. From what I've heard from my boyfriend, it is hard to get into the public school system, unless you know someone who has connections. Your best bet is probably a private school. Pay is also not very high. The most I've seen so far is around 2,300 euros. That is considered a high payment. :?
piccola_pampina

Return to Living and Working in Italy