move to italy when retired

General.

Moderator: Daniel

move to italy when retired

Postby bonomij » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:50 am

I just found out that I don't qualify for dual citizenship but I would still like to move to Italy when I retire. I know that I will have to prove sufficient income since I will not be working or going to school, but I will have a good pension and retirement fund when I retire. So I don't think money will be a problem. What steps would I have to take to acquire citizenship and buy a house? Do I have to be a citizen to purchase a home in Italy?
bonomij

Postby Em » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:48 am

Check the forums at www.expatsinitaly.com Many of the posters there have done just what you propose.

If you do not qualify jure sanguinis, you may still be able to obtain citizenship through residency--three years if a grandparent was Italian.
Em

realestate purchase is easy

Postby cinzia » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:31 pm

I purchased a home in Italy 19 years ago and found the process incredibly easy. The Italian consulate in New York advised me at that time that I needed to do the following: Find something I liked that I could afford and that someone wanted to sell to me. Go together with the seller to the Notaio, listen to the reading of the contract, sign, and hand over the money. That is in fact just what I did. If you don't speak and read Italian, you may want to hire an advocate to advise you. And of course things may have changed a bit in the intervening years...

What's considerably more difficult is getting a license plate for your car in Italy!
cinzia

moving to Italy

Postby cirob » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:34 am

I am a dual Italian -Canadian citizen, retired and all pension income is from Canada. I recently got my Italian passport wich states that my residence is in Canada.As I would like to move to Italy , buy an apartment and maybe travel back and forth between the two countries,maybe someone could give me some information on what are the steps to aqquire residency in Italy and maybe avail myself of the Italian national health system while there. I am registered at the AIRE anagrafe in Napoli where I was born. Planning to go to Italy and rent for a few months before buying. Are there a lot of loops and red tape for me to do this?Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ciro b :)
cirob

Re: moving to Italy

Postby jpp888 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:04 am

cirob wrote:and maybe avail myself of the Italian national health system while there.

I dont know the rules about the system in Italy, but my take on the info from this link is that you are only covered if you pay/paid into the system (i.e. as is the case in Germany) and not if you just live in the country or are a citizen (as is the case in the UK).

http://www.justlanded.com/english/italy ... th_service

I think that the italian healthcare system is probably no better than what canada has, but I suppose if you are living in Italy you couldnt just hop an aeroplane everytime you needed to see a GP!
jpp888

Re: moving to Italy

Postby cirob » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:00 am

jpp888 wrote:
cirob wrote:and maybe avail myself of the Italian national health system while there.

I dont know the rules about the system in Italy, but my take on the info from this link is that you are only covered if you pay/paid into the system (i.e. as is the case in Germany) and not if you just live in the country or are a citizen (as is the case in the UK).

http://www.justlanded.com/english/italy ... th_service

I think that the italian healthcare system is probably no better than what canada has, but I suppose if you are living in Italy you couldnt just hop an aeroplane everytime you needed to see a GP!

Hi jpp888
Thank you for your reply. Not what I was waiting for as you say can't hop on a plane every time I have to see a GP. The trick is to stay healty And if have to see a GP pay for it myself, I could maybe claim the expense from the BC medical.
cirob

Postby jpp888 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:11 am

I would check into it further. I am no expert on the Italian healthcare system. I just made an assumption from what I read on that website (which may or may not be accurate). Look into the rules and talk with the embassy if you must to see about coverage and how it works. Good luck.
jpp888

Return to Living and Working in Italy