Jobs in the Medical Field

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Jobs in the Medical Field

Postby Barbara » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:05 am

I am a physician - US trained and board certified in Internal Medicine. I have been practicing for 15 years and am also part of the faculty at the University of California Medical Center. I have been taking Italian for a year but am still far from mastering the language. I have my citizenship appointment with the San Francisco Consulate this month.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about how one would go about being able to pracitce in Italy? I know there is an American Hospital in Rome but I can't find much about how they hire and recruit their medical staff. I would love someday to be able to work over there. I would think there would be enough ex-pats or English speaking citizens that would need medical services.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the process? My guess is that there would be a lot of red tape involved in getting licensed over there but then again I'm not sure. Is there a shortage of medical personnel in Italy?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Barbara

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:05 am

I dont know the exact process for your line of work, but I can give you some ideas and places to start. First you need Italian. Very good medical Italian. Think of trying to practice medicine in the US if you only spoke Danish. It wouldnt work. Practicing medicine in Italy without Italian is the same.

Second, is that in order to practice medicine you have the proper degree and practice (which it sounds like you have). however, your qualifications from the US may or not be recognised in Italy. For exmple, I am an engineer and my qualifications are not recognized in Germany. This means I have to take further courses at a local university to have my quallifications recognized and practice there. So you need to check into this with a hospital, university, or the national governing body for doctors in Italy. They can tell you what you need to do to become certified for practicing there.

Good luck.

Re: Jobs in the Medical Field

Postby mikevitale » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:07 pm

Try working for Department of Defense in Naples, Sicily, Aviano, etc. or working for the State Department in Rome. Try sorting through this website:

http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/

The nice thing about working for the American Government treating Americans is the fact that your credentials will be in US, and you can slowly work on your Italian over time while living in Italy. Good Luck.
mikevitale

Return to Living and Working in Italy