Military Service

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Military Service

Postby lanelashbrook » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Hello,

Forgive me if this question has been asked before on this board, but I couldn't find a thread for my specific question.

I was born in 1984, so as ICGS says on its FAQ, in theory I could be obliged to serve in the military if I want to live in Italy. They say this could be avoided if I am enrolled in a university.

Well, I have a college degree from the US, and I actually want to live and work in France... so would I still be obliged to serve in theory?

Thanks for any help,
Lane
lanelashbrook

Postby Miserdo » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:02 am

ICGS is wrong. Italy abolished conscription a few years ago. They have an all volunteer military now. Don't worry about getting drafted.
Miserdo

Postby ICGSAdmin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:47 pm

Miserdo wrote:ICGS is wrong. Italy abolished conscription a few years ago. They have an all volunteer military now. Don't worry about getting drafted.

ICGS FAQ wrote:On May 8, 2001, the Italian government passed a law (Art. 7 del D. Lgs. 8 maggio 2001 n. 215) making military service completely voluntary as of January 1, 2007. Females do not have any military obligations, nor does any male born on or after January 1, 1986.
If you have already served in the US military or you are forty-five years or older, you do not have to serve in the Italian military. If you are twenty-seven or older and younger than forty-five, you can avoid military service by filling out some paperwork. If you are a male born between 1976 and December 31, 1985 and you want to live in Italy, in theory you are obliged to complete your military service unless you are enrolled in a university. Work exemptions also exist for those who meet certain qualifications (e.g. independent business-owners or members of a family business). We use the term in theory because of the experience of an American male associate who became an Italian citizen at the age of twenty-five and moved to Italy in August of 2002. After over a year in Italy, he has never been contacted by the local military office, even though he has an Italian passport and identification card. We feel that, in reality, LEVA (the bureau regulating mandatory military service) is slowly winding down and is no longer tracking newly-recognized male Italian citizens for military service. Nonetheless, if you were born between 1976 and December 31, 1985 and you want to live in Italy, ICGS strongly recommends you contact the LEVA office of the area in Italy in which you are planning to live for more information.
ICGSAdmin
Site Admin

Return to Living and Working in Italy