Legalities of Italian citizenship for parent?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Legalities of Italian citizenship for parent?

Postby Davide » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:11 am

When I was applying for recognition of Italian citizenship through my grandfather,( I got it last April) I was told by the consulate official that my father would "automatically" be granted recognition as an Italian citizen as "part of the process." This, of course, makes sense.

I was wondering what the legal implications of this "automatic" recognition for my father would be? For example, is my father now listed as an Italian citizen in our comune in Italy? Can he get an Italian birth certificate? Does he need an Italian passport to enter or leave Italy? Or do the legalities of Italian citizenship pertain only to me?
Davide

Legalities to Parents

Postby sstrippoli » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:38 am

"I was wondering what the legal implications of this "automatic" recognition for my father would be? For example, is my father now listed as an Italian citizen in our comune in Italy? Can he get an Italian birth certificate? Does he need an Italian passport to enter or leave Italy? Or do the legalities of Italian citizenship pertain only to me?"

David -
I am not entirely certain but, I believe your dad's status would be exactly the same as for any of us who are ELIGIBLE citizenship but have not yet completed the application process. To cite a personal experience, when I completed my application and received my Italian passport I commented that I was pleased to now be an Italian citizen. The consular supervisor responded, "Signore ****, you have always been an Italian citizen! You just had not provided the documentation to verify it before."

1) Yes, once his cittadinanza (citizenship) is applied for, verified and granted, he would as all Italian citizens be listed in their home commune.

2) If your father was not *born* in Italy he would not receive a birth certificate from Italy. He would, however, be eligible for a passport and for a Codice Fiscale (Italian Soc. Security #).

3) He nor you would NEED an Italian passport to enter or leave Italy. You would be eligible to travel there or move about under your American passport. You would, as a dual-citizen, now have the option of traveling under either passport.

Ciao
sstrippoli

Return to Living and Working in Italy