university in E.U with itlian passport, which fees do i pay?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

university in E.U with itlian passport, which fees do i pay?

Postby audreyg » Thu May 01, 2008 2:28 pm

hi there,
i am getting italian citizenship in a few weeks, and i want to move to the E.U... i want to go to school, but i have to go in english so i was thinking of moving to the U.K tog et my master's degree. when i look at the different universities i find the the tuition colum is split in two, one being Uk/E.U people and one for international students. i realize that with my italian passport i am considered a member if the E.U, but does that mean that i also get to pay lower fees than international students? even if i ahve never paid taxes in the E.U?

if anyone ahs any info or websites where i can find that info it would be really great! i tried to contact a few universities in the U.K but no one has answered me at all...

thanks
audreyg

Re: university in E.U with itlian passport, which fees do i

Postby CJC » Thu May 01, 2008 3:17 pm

Unfortunately, I think this is a question that only the school or university in question can answer.
CJC

Location: Northern California, USA (Applied at Philadelphia consulate)

Postby audreyg » Thu May 01, 2008 3:46 pm

yeah that's pretty much what i thought... but it's worth a shot..i know here in canada, it's pretty much governement regualted so there is one answer for everyone... i guess in the U.K it's not regulated in the same fashion... anyway thanks for the reply :)
audreyg

Postby lc3708 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:19 pm

I know that technically you need to be an EU resident, not just a citizen in order to qualify for the lower fee rate. Being a resident has the added stipulation of having lived normally in the EU, i.e. without any visa restrictions, for at least 3 years. Exactly how the university would know this, I couldn't tell you... Though you might get in trouble down the line - I don't know if the reciprocal university arrangement is eventually passed back to the Italian government, so that the UK government subsidizes your education, who then in turn claim it back from Italy, blah blah.
I did my undergrad degree in England paying international fees, they are astronomical compared with what 'home' students pay. Go for it. Or contact a university's international student office, they might be able to give more impartial advice, and my experience with the staff is that they are keen to help - and much more likely to get back to you.
lc3708

Postby audreyg » Fri May 02, 2008 9:48 am

yes!! the international office!! that makes sense, don't know why i didn't evne think of that! thanks for the suggestion :)

as for the other stuff...yeah i understand your logic, that's pretty much what i was thinking as well... but hey it's worth a shot, i'll call the offices and see what they say.

thanks again :)
audreyg

Postby ALP70 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:59 pm

I did part of my undergrad in the UK and I've been looking into this too. Unfortunately, I believe schools & universities would class you as "Overseas" rather than EU if you haven't done the 3 year residency (it also excludes those who were in the EU for 3 years for education purposes like boarding school). The only thing I can think of at the moment is that they waive the residency requirement for citizens whose parents were forced to move and live outside of the EU due to work requirements, and then you would have to prove that.

It never hurts to ask the office that handles financial matters there. You might want to look into grants & scholarships instead of counting on the EU fee structure; there are numerous grants & scholarships that are given specifically to EU citizens, and I did not see any residency requirements for them. A simple Google search on this gives much of what I've said above, but if you are looking at a particular school the website usually has a PDF for Tuition info and how they define "Overseas".
ALP70

Postby Karena » Thu May 08, 2008 4:21 am

It seems that most unis in the UK require you to have residency in an EU country to get the home rate, not just having the citizenship. The uni I am applying to, University of Reading, is one that does not have the residency requirement, for some reason. Just check with the uni.
Karena

Postby audreyg » Mon May 12, 2008 1:18 pm

i thought so, about the residency thing, it makes sense really... but i will check out google and see about grants and such.

also makes sense to cvheck with each uni.. so many in the UK!! but not too many that have my program at master's level so should cut down the searching time.

thanks for the info everyone! it really helps :)
audreyg

Re: university in E.U with itlian passport, which fees do i pay?

Postby piccola_pampina » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:34 am

I was trying to apply for a university in Italy. I think you would have to contact the consulate. For non-citizens, the process is such:

1. dichiarazione di valore - declaration of value - university and high school transcripts must be translated and have an apostille.
2. preiscrizione - it's like a pre-registration process in which they look at your documents and decide whether you can apply to the school.
3. apply to the university -- you will not be accepted, however, until you have taken mandatory language courses and a language exam.

The same will probably hold true for you. Even though you have an Italian passport, you will still have to have your transcripts translated, assuming that you studied here in the US. According to a United Nations law (or some such organization I forget) you have to have these translated. You may also have to take a language exam, even if applying to an Italian university. I recommend that you contact your nearest consulate. They can probably provide you with more information.
piccola_pampina

Re: university in E.U with itlian passport, which fees do i pay?

Postby piccola_pampina » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:37 am

Sorry, re-read your post. You probably won't have to take a language exam because the school's in the UK, and scratch having to translate it.
piccola_pampina

Return to Living and Working in Italy