Moving to Italy. Is it feasable?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: Moving to Italy. Is it feasable?

Postby zagnut » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:02 am

Fiat's new Topolino will also have a dual clutch transmission- sweet!
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/222081/topolino_reborn.html
zagnut

Postby BBCWatcher » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:59 am

The British Pound has firmed up a bit relative to the U.S. dollar in recent weeks, but it's not especially strong. About 1.64 U.S. Dollars per Pound right now. It got up to 2+ not so long ago (a little over a year ago). A little over a month ago it was in the 1.4s.

However, the Japanese Yen is probably still the strongest major currency in the world. One U.S. dollar can only buy about 96 yen at present.
BBCWatcher

Postby zagnut » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:45 am

The yen dropped to a seven-month low yesterday against the Euro.
zagnut

Postby piccola_pampina » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:58 am

BBCWatcher wrote:The British Pound has firmed up a bit relative to the U.S. dollar in recent weeks, but it's not especially strong. About 1.64 U.S. Dollars per Pound right now. It got up to 2+ not so long ago (a little over a year ago). A little over a month ago it was in the 1.4s.

Actually, last summer it was $2 to the pound, roughly. I traveled through London to Gatwick with an airport change to get to Italy... For an hour ride it cost 20 pounds which was $40. :(
piccola_pampina

Postby am87 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:42 pm

This is funny. Lets wait for the dollar to get stronger because it's so low at the moment in 2006. Converting to euro doesn't lose one the money, its been lost since the dollar plummeted. The 2000$ was already lost ... The real answer was to buy GOLD. Cash is for losers most of the time.

[quote="Anonymous"]Yes, I also have been looking at the Euro vs US dollar for about 4 years now, and the Euro remains strong and simply "dips" slightly, but it doesn`t dip far enough to suit me.
I am not so ready to lose $2000 on an exchange rate, if I exchange $10,000.
The downside to this, is that I would need money to live on, and so, I would have to change a certain amount. The plus side is that the cost of living is lower in Italy compared to the US, and so, in that respect, I would not be losing much.
Unfortunately, I do not have the money I need to support myself 'long term', without having to replensih my money, by working.
So, I will have to take a great loss, but I don`t want to lose any more than necessary, and so, I am still watching the rates.

Another way of looking at this, is to take the 'best rate' that comes along. for ex: The euro is usually around 1.27 on average, and so when it drops to 1.25 just go ahead and exchange it. But, I am still hopefull that the rate will become even better. But, how long should I wait, is the question. It is in a sense, a gamble, and I am not a good gambler, but I am business minded[/quote]
am87

Postby am87 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:44 pm

[quote="piccola_pampina"]The Dollar was only higher in the exchange rate for like a year, and that was when the Euro first came out. The Dollar has since plummeted. Two years ago when I was abroad studying, Americans in Italy were almost paying twice what they would have in Dollars. Last summer, the Dollar was doing better. This summer I'm going yet again, but dread looking at the exchange rates. :cry: I feel even poorer than I already am, and think that my money that I have been saving will soon amount to nothing. Think of how the Dollar is in comparison to the Pound. :oops: Che vergogna![/quote]

Update: the pound collapsed to so england isnt expensive.

The dollar going down means roaring profits from brazilian stocks. So for me its bittersweet. The dollar is just that, a lousy stock to not be all in on.
am87

Postby stefanaccio » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:33 am

Sometimes it is better to just jump in. I built a house in Teramo and paid $1.13 for many of the euros to buy the house. I thought that was a lot of money. In retrospect with the euro at about $1.50 it was a good deal.
stefanaccio

Previous

Return to Living and Working in Italy