Obtaining citizenship through 2-yr residency??

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Obtaining citizenship through 2-yr residency??

Postby ldecerchio » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:56 pm

I finally discovered that my great grandfather was naturalized after my grandfather's birth, which means that I CANNOT simply apply for dual citizenship. The grandmother on the other side was also born in Italy, but naturalized before having my father, as well.

My question is whether or not it is still possible for me to apply for citizenship after 2+ years of residency in Italy. I'm considering looking for a job there, since I am already studying in Europe, but this information would be helpful in my decision. The embassy and consulate websites do not offer detailed information on this particular possibility, it is just briefly mentioned. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks,
Lisa
ldecerchio

Re: Obtaining citizenship through 2-yr residency??

Postby matta » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:01 pm

ldecerchio wrote:I finally discovered that my great grandfather was naturalized after my grandfather's birth, which means that I CANNOT simply apply for dual citizenship. The grandmother on the other side was also born in Italy, but naturalized before having my father, as well.

My question is whether or not it is still possible for me to apply for citizenship after 2+ years of residency in Italy. I'm considering looking for a job there, since I am already studying in Europe, but this information would be helpful in my decision. The embassy and consulate websites do not offer detailed information on this particular possibility, it is just briefly mentioned. Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks,
Lisa

If your grandmother was an Italian citizen, then you do qualify for citizenship with 3 years of residency (you're 2 degrees removed). The procedure is to apply after the 2nd year but before the 3rd year.

The people on expattalk.com can give you more information on where and how to apply.
matta

Re: Obtaining citizenship through 2-yr residency??

Postby Tiffany » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:41 am

ldecerchio wrote:I finally discovered that my great grandfather was naturalized after my grandfather's birth

Is this typo? Because after means you can apply for simple recognition.
Tiffany

Postby ldecerchio » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:46 am

Yes, its a typo. Sorry for the confusion!! The whole naturalization process must be confusing me in general :-)
ldecerchio

Postby matta » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:09 am

How did I miss that?
matta

Postby ldecerchio » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:15 am

And it does not matter than my grandmother naturalized a few months before my father's birth??

Thanks everyone,
Lisa
ldecerchio

Postby zagnut » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:57 am

It would only matter if you were applying through your grandmother jure sanguinis. If you are applying by 3 years residency it's ok.
zagnut

Return to Living and Working in Italy