3 Year Residency/Work Visa?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

3 Year Residency/Work Visa?

Postby capillom » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Hey folks,

I have a few questions. First, I am a US citizen in the 1948 group. Can't apply for dual citizenship because my dad was born to my grandmother in 1943. I am interested in exploring living in Italia for 3 years to earn my citizenship.

1. I understand that is it relatively easy to get a 90 day visa. I also suspect given my experience and education that finding a job teaching English shouldn't be too hard. Are such employers likely to sponsor me for a work visa? And the monthly pay in US dollars is usually about what?

2. If I were interested in spending the first year studying Italian full time, any sense how much that kind of thing might cost?

3. I discovered the 3 year residency option when zagnut posted the below excerpt from article 4 (or 9, it's unclear to me which applies to my situation and in what capacity).

Zagnut wrote:
It's from article 4 (rather than art. 9 which applies to your situation). A minor child (with parent or grandparent who lost Italian citizenship) who reaches the age of majority must declare his/her wish to acquire Italian citizenship within one year after attaining the age of majority. After an additional year of residency in Italy, they can become an Italian citizen.

Anyway, my final question is in reference to this "age of majority" language. When the article states that you must claim your intent to apply for citizenship within a year of reaching age of majority...what does this mean exactly? How does someone reach age of majority? Does it directly apply to an applicant's age?

This message board is amazing! Fantastically helpful.

Maureen Capillo
capillom

Postby David_ » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:26 pm

I don't know the details of all this, but let me tell you that you can apply for 3-year residence thing without the job sponsoring. As far as I know, it is a special type of visa designed for this. What I've also heard is that this visa doesn't give you a permit to work, and I've heard that finding work would be hard for a non-Italian. Do you have a degree in English and have taught ESL? If so, that would help immensely. You'll also need to be as fluent as natives in Italian.

Age of majority is 18. I think the law he was referencing was for people that do a 2 year Italian citizenship path.

Good luck. I hope someone else can answer your questions.
David_

Postby zagnut » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:15 am

it's unclear to me which applies to my situation and in what capacity

Article 9 applies to your situation- as you quoted here:
rather than art. 9 which applies to your situation

Here's some good info on the difficulty of finding work in Italy:
http://expattalk.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/2310061972
zagnut

Return to Living and Working in Italy