Carpentry Work in Italy

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Carpentry Work in Italy

Postby cadanna » Sun May 03, 2009 5:16 pm

Salve, I am planning the move to Umbria hopefully within a year. Any expats that have some experiences or suggestions on working the trades? I do renovations which involves both woodworking and masonry and it would be my natural choice to continue. I had made 3 trips over last year to buy our fixer up house and get that underway; always seeing lots of projects underway there in Assisi. I recognize that it depends on getting the citizenship settled in order to work legally but I look forward to a better quality of life and a lower cost of living. Grazie
cadanna

Re: Carpentry Work in Italy

Postby Tiffany » Sun May 03, 2009 9:46 pm

You might want to ask this over at http://www.expattalk.com/eve . You'll get more expats on that site. This site mostly helps those trying to gain citizenship.
Tiffany

Re: Carpentry Work in Italy

Postby Nicola » Fri May 22, 2009 12:20 pm

If you mean rough carpentry I think it'll be virtually impossible. Nobody does frame building. At least I've never seen anything. Maybe up north near the border but I bet even they lean more towards some sort of log building. 2x4s aren't exactly the most common thing.

If you mean fine woodworking there isn't that much either outside of furniture shops.

Masonary is a better choice. But you'll be competing with Romanian and others willing to work for very little. The illegals work for even less.
Nicola

Return to Living and Working in Italy