Jobs in Italy

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Jobs in Italy

Postby Azzurro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm a licensed architect in the US and due to the current economy I find it difficult to find work designing projects since no new ones are being created. I want to use this down time intelligently so i'm wondering about temporary jobs in Italy.

I took a summer session in Florence while I was in college to study the language and culture but if I want to become fluent I feel I need to work and live there for a little while. I need to be surrounded by Italian speakers. I'm looking into getting my dual citizenship but does anyone know a job for an english speaker (my italian is not great right now) where room and board would be part of the compensation? It can be any job that helps me with this opportunity but.....Where would I Look?
Azzurro

Re: Jobs in Italy

Postby Azzurro » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Anyone?
Azzurro

Postby pietro amoroso » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:21 pm

Try getting in contact with Massimiliano Fuksas:

http://www.fuksas.it

He is a worldwide acclaimed architect and I am sure you have heard of his work. He was looking for some candidates to fulfill some competitions he was working on lately on www.archinect.com . Go through his website, explain your situation, and maybe something can work out. No loss in trying.

Best of luck!

(Reason why I havent applied because I have one more year left at M. Arch @ Arizona State.)
pietro amoroso

Postby azsumrg1rl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:19 pm

(Reason why I havent applied because I have one more year left at M. Arch @ Arizona State.)

Woohoo! Go Sundevils! ;-)
azsumrg1rl

Postby pietro amoroso » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:44 pm

Small world! :D What are you majoring in?
pietro amoroso

Postby azsumrg1rl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:56 pm

Small world! :D What are you majoring in?

I got my both my bachelors (print journalism/spanish) and masters (journalism/mass communications) degrees from ASU in 2002 and 2004 respectively. Are you from AZ? (I ask because I have lived here since I was about a year old and I've rarely come across a local with strong ties to Italy, especially as young as us.)
azsumrg1rl

Postby pietro amoroso » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Wow congratulations! I have my bachelors in Architecture from ASU (main), and finally wrapping up my final year for my Masters in Architecture. Been here since 1993, but I agree with you that you rarely come across a local with strong ties to Italy (in my case Sicily :lol:). Parent's want me to find a nice Italian girl, but I don't think that is going to happen here haha! I'm first generation American, born in Queens N.Y. so the ties are real strong still overseas. I visit family in Sicily almost every summer. Been trying to get my Dual Citizenship... delayed due to my mother (father renounced his for U.S.) who has been carrying a expired green card and passport. She just recieved her renewed green card, so hopefully this Friday I will be going to L.A. with her to renew her passport. So you trying to get a dual citizenship through L.A. as well?
pietro amoroso

Postby azsumrg1rl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Wow congratulations! I have my bachelors in Architecture from ASU (main), and finally wrapping up my final year for my Masters in Architecture. Been here since 1993, but I agree with you that you rarely come across a local with strong ties to Italy (in my case Sicily :lol:). Parent's want me to find a nice Italian girl, but I don't think that is going to happen here haha! I'm first generation American, born in Queens N.Y. so the ties are real strong still overseas. I visit family in Sicily almost every summer. Been trying to get my Dual Citizenship... delayed due to my mother (father renounced his for U.S.) who has been carrying a expired green card and passport. She just recieved her renewed green card, so hopefully this Friday I will be going to L.A. with her to renew her passport. So you trying to get a dual citizenship through L.A. as well?

Yes, I am applying through L.A. Is your appointment this weekend? You'll have to tell me how your appointment goes and how long they are taking to process apps. I haven't made my appointment yet, but I'm told the wait for an appointment is only a month. (I'm still waiting on three docs.)

That's VERY neat that you're first generation. I'm third generation, but we really don't have much family left in the U.S. (For info on where my family is from, see this thread: http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/where-in-italy-t25.html.) I'm definitely jealous that you travel to Italy annually. I hope to find the time to do so once I become a citizen (although this whole adult-working-40-plus-hours-per-week-and-only-getting-a-week-of-PTO-thing makes it difficult).
azsumrg1rl

Postby pietro amoroso » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:58 pm

No I am going to get my mother’s passport renewed because without it I wont be able to apply for the dual citizenship. Sigh. So that is going to be probably be another year before she gets that renewed! :( I will let you know how it goes though. Hopefully it wont be to painful. For passports you can schedule appointments online. I heard about the new phone systems for the citizen appointments talk about lame! Haha yea real life **** when you are gout there working 9-5. That is why I still live with my parents. I guess I enjoy the liberty. :)
pietro amoroso

Return to Living and Working in Italy