Teaching Certifications

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Teaching Certifications

Postby JMMalley » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:55 pm

Merry Christmas to all!

I received Italian citizenship in July and now I'm exploring the idea of teaching English in Italy at some point. I currently teach English in a public high school, and I'm working on my ESOL endorsement (300 hours in five courses). I'm wondering how much weight the endorsement might carry n Italy since there are so many different teaching certifications: TEFL, TSEL, TESOL, ESOL, CELTA. Anyone traveled that road? Thanks.

Happy New Year!

Joe
JMMalley

Re: Teaching Certifications

Postby nmecion » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:44 pm

I teach history at a new york public school i am interested in the same as well, i would love to hear any news. i am thinking even if i can teach a summer program...or perhaps at a university. I saw the tesol and all those programs it is quite overwhelming

Nicole
nmecion

Postby JMMalley » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:00 am

I haven't gotten much feedback, so I'm at a loss to explain, but I'm leery about shoveling money at certification programs when similar programs and certifications are available to American teachers for free or low cost.
JMMalley

Postby nmecion » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:00 am

hmmmm funny thing is that i was watching international house hunters (great show) AND it had on a teacher from nyc who picked up and went to rome and got a teaching job at an american school there ..... just a fun fact i wanted to share
nmecion

Postby JMMalley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:16 am

Ha! I taped six episodes in a row that night! The first two were quite revealing. The NYC teacher got a nice living subsidy, eh? I liked the second one because my mother's father was from Calabria. A colleague visited Italy a few years ago and was told that you didn't travel to Calabria unless you knew someone! BTW, I skipped the episodes in which wealthy people spent fortunes on Italian properties. Those are *way* out of my range!
JMMalley

Return to Living and Working in Italy