Italy`s culture identity

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Italy`s culture identity

Postby Anonymous » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:58 pm

The purpose of jure sanguinis is to provide Italian citizenship to those who qualify through an ancestor from Italy.
Recently, The Interior Minister expressed regret that many people seek citizenship, who have little or no Italian identity, nor do they have any knowledge of the language and culture.
Being Italian is not just having an Italian last name. An "Italian" would NEVER adopt any other country, as their homeland, whether born in Italy or abroad. It is important to understand the "Italian identity". Many Italians are born abroad in Africa, yet they are considered Italian, by Italians in Italy, and not as Africans. This is because they ARE Italian, in every aspect of their lives. In the US, a "black" person, is called African/American, even those with no relationship or ancestors from Africa.
Strangely, an Italian who is born in the US, is considered "American" to many Italians in Italy. But, Italians born in Germany, are not considered German. Italians born in France, are not considered French, but Italian.
Italians born in Venezuela or Brazil are considered Italian by Italians in Italy.
Why are most Italians in America, the only ones NOT considered Italian, by Italians in Italy?
The answer is Italian Cultural identity. Many Italian/Americans go to Italy, with a "Pro american" attitude, and so are often not accepted into Italian society.
On the otherhand, Italians from virtually every other country are considered as being Italian, to Italians in Italy, because they have the cultural identity of being Italian.
I have witnessed the "biased" attitude of Italians in Italy toward Italian/americans.
I have never been treated as an "outsider" or as an American. My family and friends regard me as "Italian", perhaps because I "belong" or perhaps they see me as a person with an entire Italian identity, with looks mannerisms, gestures, language skills, etc.
An American stands out in Italy. Italians in Italy, easily identify Americans, by their expressions, and attitudes. However, even though I am Italian, it is rare that anyone identifies me as American.

Italians recognize other Italians
Anonymous

Postby jcallori » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:59 pm

Angiolo,

Firstly, it's not necessary when referring to an Italian to put the word Italian in quotation marks, or really any of the words you've placed in quotation marks. This is obvious to anyone with even the most rudimentary college education. Something you clearly lack.

How do you know that all Italians born abroad, with the exception of those born in America, are viewed as Italian by those born and raised in Italy? This seems all very anecdotal to me.

Europeans can spot Americans because we're very different. There's no shame in that. It doesn't mean that Europeans are completely unwilling to accept our American-ness so long as we honour and respect their culture. I've spent several months living in France - a country notorious for its disdain for Americans. No matter. How warm the French were when they realised we were trying to learn their language and understand their culture. How happy so many of them were to teach us! Obviously, if Americans or tourists from any other country visit France (or Italy) and display a total disregard for the French, if they're there only to patronise and not genuinely appreciate, then yes, they will be treated rudely.

I'm glad, Angiolo, that you're rarely identified as an American when you're in Italy. It's such a shame, however, how easily you're identified as a **** moron on this message board.

Good luck to you!

Jordan
jcallori

Postby Anonymous » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:17 am

Angiolo, I agree. When i was in Italy I had a very long conversation with several 'natives'. They all expressed the same thing, that it is not a matter of "looking American", but perspective. I asked about Italians from other countries, and they told me that they have a different perspective about Italy than does Americans, and so, Italians from other countries are still seen as Italians. They speak the language, and have held to their Italian culture and heritage, and a strong sense of their Italian identity, and their Catholic religion.
The 'native' point of view, is that Italian/Americans have adopted an 'American" way of life, which totally differs from Italian lifestyle, and so are seen only as Americans, not Italians. However, they do acknowledge that there are exceptions, in that some Italian/Americans have held onto their Italian heritage, culture, etc, and along with some language skills are viewed as Italians.
This is the view of native Italians in Italy.
However, you are correct in that Italians from other countries are viewed as Italian, but Americans (for the most part) are not.
I guess they see the poor attitudes of Americans, and is why they are not accepted into Italian society. This is why many Italians are upset with immigration into Italy. Many Italians do not want their way of life 'tainted' by outsiders, or those who will corrupt the Italian way of life, with an American or other culture
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:17 pm

I guess i can understand the Italian point of view. It is not much different really from being American. Many of us feel that immigrants should become Americanized and learn our language.
However, I guess there is something to be said as to who is really American, since we all came from some country. I think the Indians are Americans. haha
Anonymous

Re: Italy`s culture identity

Postby geografia » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:18 pm

I am kind of afraid of this: moving to Italy one day and then to never really be accepted as Italian. I understand Italians' and other Europeans' disdain for Americans, but their disdain is against a stereotype that most Americans just don't fit. Much of their disdain is a result of American foreign policy - which the American population has nothing to do with. I suppose there is also some disdain for the Walmart and suburbs landscape and lifestyle of Americans, and how casual Americans dress, but I don't think any Italian Americans plan on opening a Walmart or building some kind of American suburban development in Italy. So, in short, their disdain for Americans is usually a result of their prejudice. Finally, they just don't understand and lack any sympathy for the plight of Italians in America. It was a very difficult thing to do to maintain one's Italian culture in an Anglo (and, frankly, racist) world. Even today Mexicans, Latinos, and Asians face a brutal sentiment in America that one must "Americanize" and lose any non-American identity in order to flourish and live in peace. In Brazil and Argentina - Latin and Catholic cultures like Italy - it was a very easy thing to maintain one's Italian culture.
geografia

Postby jlg » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:10 am

Geografia, your points are valid and we all have such fears but. This is a 3 year old flamebait thread, it died for a reason, please let it die again. The OP made parochial sweeping generalizations that surprisingly completely contradict the conclusions they draw. (Americans stick out in Italy, I am an American but I do not stick out.). I have no compunction or fear in discussion the topic, but with the misleading opening by the now, removed OP, starting a new thread off your thoughts would be very appropriate.

-JLG
jlg

Postby ICGSAdmin » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:59 pm

Agreed.
ICGSAdmin
Site Admin

Return to Living and Working in Italy