information

General.

Moderator: Daniel

information

Postby vijay saraswat » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:43 am

hi, sir /madam
my self vijay saraswat ,studying in poland, for the last 5 month,i am doing mba here,i want to know that if i want to apply for the citizen ship in italy.when and with what document i can apply there.i am permanent indian national, and tempreory polish national.and is there any other way to become italian national.kindly look into the matter ,and i am waiting for ur reply..
thank you
your sincerly
vijay saraswat
vijay saraswat

Postby Anonymous » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:32 pm

Unfortunately, Italian citizenship is based almost solely on the principle of "jure sanguinis" (through ancestry). Thus obtaining citizenship is much more difficult for those who are not of Italian origin.

If you are truly committed to becoming an Italian citizen, you may do so after legally living in Italy (i.e. with a visa or stay permit of some sort) for the following periods of time:

-one year if you are have formerly held Italian citizenship
-three years if you are a foreigner with native-born Italian parents or -grandparents
-four years if you are a citizen of another EU country
-ten years if you are a citizen of a non-EU country

Of course, you are also eligible for Italian citizenship if you marry an Italian citizen. If you and your spouse live in Italy, you can apply for citizenship after six months of marriage. If you both live outside of Italy, you can apply after three years of marriage.

There are a few other cases in which Italian citizenship may be granted to a foreigner, such as civil or military service or outstanding service to Italy. For further information, contact the nearest Italian authority.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Diana
ICGS Admin
Anonymous

question

Postby pamela » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:58 pm

If i am from Peru but now i am doing an intership for one year and half in USA Could i be available to start my italian citizenship papers in this country considering that I qualify for italian citizenship jure sanguinis?
pamela

Postby Em » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:54 pm

If you hold a legal residence in the U.S., you would apply at the consulate that serves your jurisdiction. You need not be a U.S. citizen to do so.
Em

residence or visa?

Postby pamela » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:15 am

When you say legal residence means i must be resident of United States or i will still alowed to do them if i have a legal visa and i am allowed to work and live in this country?
Thanks
pamela

Postby Em » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:31 pm

If you are legally allowed to live and work in the U.S., you can apply at the consulate that serves the jurisdiction in which you reside. The Italian consulate is not concerned about your U.S. citizenship status; but they will only accept your application if you reside within their area. In NY this proof was required to be either a drivers license or a copy of a lease agreement.
Em

playing pro hockey or pro baseball

Postby italia123 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:07 pm

My brother and I are in the process of getting our dual citizenship Italian/Canadian. I am wondering who we can contact regarding playing in the pro league for baseball and hockey.
italia123

Return to Living and Working in Italy