Italian passport name issues for married Same-sex Persons

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Italian passport name issues for married Same-sex Persons

Postby AdrianBattaglia » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:12 pm

An interesting problem has occurred since I obtained my Italian citizenship and passport several years ago (thanks to the help of Luigi Paiano in my 1948 case). After I received my passport in my full birth name I married a man in New York (same-sex marriage) and we combined our surnames so my new American passport has his name and mine hyphenated. I have not traveled to Italy since my marriage and name change. I am concerned about what name to put on the airline tickets and whether Italian immigration will let me enter Italy using my Italian passport with my birth name despite my US legal name and passport being different now. I am still waiting for NY consulate passport office to get back to me. I suspect that because I am male and not female they will not put my married name on page 4 like they do for married women. Interestingly, my mother, who obtained Italian citizenship by marriage to my father (pre 1983) has her Italian passport in her maiden name but was not allowed to have her married name (which is on her US passport) put on p 4 because by the time she applied for her Italian citizenship she was divorced from my father. So she too is now in the position of having two passports with different names. We are thinking of visiting Italy next year but so far are not sure what to do. Any ideas?
AdrianBattaglia

Return to Miscellaneous