Obtaining Italian Citizenship and Passport in ITALY

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Obtaining Italian Citizenship and Passport in ITALY

Postby Biba » Fri May 18, 2007 5:48 pm

I live in the US and my grandparents were Italian, but I’d like to get my Italian citizenship and passport in Italy since I’m planning a trip there next month. Where do I go in Italy to get my passport and what do I need to bring with me? My grandfather is from Santa Maria di Castellabate in southern Italy. Do I have to go where my grandfather was born or any other general registry office in any city in Italy can help me?

I was told that it is easier and faster to obtain my citizenship and passport directly in Italy. My mother already has her Italian citizenship.
Biba

Postby Joe T » Mon May 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Well, first you need to be sure that you have the right to Italian citizenship jure sanguinus. Once you have checked to be sure that you do, you need birth, marriage, and death certificates for your grandparents. Also, you will need certify that your grandparents never became citizens of the country they immigrated to (if they ever immigrated). Unfortunately, it will probably take too long to compile all of the information before your trip next month.

As far as applying in Italy goes, perhaps another forum member can answer that.

Good luck!
Joe T

Postby Em » Tue May 29, 2007 5:43 pm

Joe T is correct. It is unlikely that you will have sufficient time to obtain all the documents you will need for citizenship. I doubt, too, that you will be able to apply in Italy with simply a tourist visa. Your trip provides a perfect opportunity to obtain your Italian documents in person, but you will need to go to the commune that issued them.

Since your mother is an Italian citizen, your process may be simple, but this will depend on a lot of things including your own birth date and how and when your mother obtained her citizenship.

As it stands, your question is too vague for us to provide much help.
Em

Return to Miscellaneous