Question re:impact of Italian citizenship on military burial

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Question re:impact of Italian citizenship on military burial

Postby Al » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:04 pm

I am applying for Italian citizenship for my father and myself. My father was born in the USA, is 87 years old, and fought in WWII for the USA. His father was born in Italy and we are using him for citizenship through ancestry. I just want to make sure that helping my father obtain dual citizenship will not impact his rights to a full military burial since he fought in the war. I have read about dual citizenship being a consideration for rejection of working for the FBI or other government offices, but my concern is my father's rights to full military honors at burial someday. any thoughts? I can't imagine it being a problem, but wanted to get your input. Thanks so much in advance.
Al
Al

Postby Em » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:53 pm

Al, I doubt very much that anyone will care. As far as the U.S. is concerned, he is an American citizen, dual citizenship notwithstanding.

One question, though. Is it you, or he, who is applying for dual citizenship? I ask only because 87 is rather old to be considering this as an option unless he is considering retiring there. My own father is 86, and although he willingly signed the Declaration of Living Ascendent in support of my son's application, he has no desire for dual citizenship himself.

So, if your father is only doing what my father did, he will NOT become a dual citizen by virtue of your own application even if you are using his line.
Em

Thanks for your response

Postby Al » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:05 pm

Actually, he would like to be a dual citizen. I think it is something he would like to have to feel closer to his father and roots. I am also applying for my dual citizenship. Given your comment about your father approving your application, is there a form letter my father is to sign? If not, where do I find the required content? I am gathering all my requests, but can't send them out until I get my grandfather's birth certificate to make sure I have NARA and USCIS search for the exact name. I never saw the form that you refer to and would like any thoughts of where i can get the letter from my father approving of my application.

thanks again for your response.
Al
Al

Postby Em » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:24 pm

The forms are on the citizenship page of the New York Consulate, but if your dad is applying for citizenship, he would not file a declaration. That is only for ascendants who are not applying themselves. On the application you complete at the consulate is the question regarding whether you ever renounced citizenship, and that is all you will need--other than all those documents, of course. :D

Good luck to you both; I have heard that Houston moves quickly.
Em

Thanks for your answers

Postby Al » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:30 pm

I appreciate your sharing the knowledge that you possess. Thanks also for the well wishes on the applications.
Al

Return to Miscellaneous