Non capisco

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Non capisco

Postby Mike D » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:24 am

Io non capisco. Non c'e' nessuno che vuole rispondermi. Avevo una domanda ma secondo me siete tutti stronzi perche' non c'e' nessuno con una risposta. Grazie per niente.
Mike D

Postby Em » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:44 am

A little harsh don't you think? :(

Generally, Mike, when people don't respond, it's not because they are ignoring you or being rude, but rather because they don't have a definitive answer to your question.

I'll give it a try, however. I would guess that you will require the same documents in Italy that you do in the U.S. That means the certificate of naturalization is necessary. This document is particularly important because it is the evidence that your ancestor was indeed Italian and in a position to pass on citizenship. I would guess that Italian communes are not as familiar with the Petitions and Declarations that precede naturalization.

As far as applying in Italy is concerned, you certainly will be able to do so if you are studying there and legally reside there. The only problem you may encounter is that generally the consulates are more familiar with the jure sanguinis process than are the communes, but as is the situation with consulates, this will vary from commune to commune.

You will need apostilles to prove the documents are valid, and I would assume they will also require translations so they can read the information.

You may want to visit the forum at www.expatsinitaly.com I believe there are a few people there who have applied, or have attempted to apply, in Italy. They may be able to provide you with more specifics, especially if you let them know the name of the commune at which you plan to apply.
Em

Postby Miserdo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:19 am

It's only a small thing, but please remember, there is only one "m" in comune. Thank you. 8)
Miserdo

Postby Em » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:28 am

If it makes you happy. . . :D I guess I should know by now that not all Italian words are spelled the same way as their English counterparts. However, given that my response was in English, it's not terribly wrong to use the English spelling.
Em

Postby jcallori » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:45 am

Miserdo should recall then that foreign words not commonly used in English should be in italics. Such a grammar cop should be using comune 8) Thanks!
jcallori

Postby Miserdo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:06 pm

:) No need to be defensive. As I said, it's only a small thing, and I asked with "please". Not sure why that evokes grammar police comments.

I'm always glad when my Italian neighbors correct an error in my pronunciation or grammar- helps me learn!
Miserdo

Postby Em » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:57 pm

No problem at all Miserdo. You are correct in that a jurisdiction in Italy is written as "comune," one "m." And a "please" is always nice. :D The spelling of "comune" and "commune" are quite similar, and if you are living in Italy as I suspect you are, the latter spelling no doubt appears incorrect to you. It's a bit the way I feel when I see "neighbor" spelled as "neighbour" and "program" as "programme," but that's another story.

I doubt Jordan was being defensive; nor was I. I was only pointing out that "commune" is appropriate since the post was written in English. Maybe one day I'll try to post in Italian--after all, the original post was written in that language. I'll have to build up some confidence first.
Em

Postby Miserdo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:30 pm

Thanks Em! :D

You're right- you should continue to spell it commune.
Miserdo

Postby Miserdo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:10 pm

Thought you'd enjoy this from Wikipedia- the editors are weighing the pros and cons of using municipality or com(m)une as the English translation for "city government" in various languages.

"translation
municipality vs commune/comune

"pro municipality
commune/comune only in French (commune), Spanish (comuna) and Italian (comune), don't give them different treating to other translations in the world
are there spanish countries that would have conflict with municipio and comuna both translated as municipality?

"pro com(m)une
they are different. Italian comuni are different from other municipalities; Italian comune and French "commune" are not equivalent, etc.
spanish also has municipio, so commune would avoid conflicts
Romania has both in one country, so we need both: Municipality in Romania"
Miserdo

Postby Em » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:44 pm

When in Rome. . . comune it is. But now I'm going to be really confused. :D
Em

Postby Miserdo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:36 am

Nah, it's easy.

It's about avoiding cognate false (or false friends). For example, when referring to an Italian collegio, it's tempting to use the similar English word college (but collegio translates as boarding school). You can see the resulting confusion.

So, when referring to an Italian comune, one might use the English word municipality or city hall, instead of commune. The English noun commune in normal use means "a body of people or families living together and sharing everything". The secondary meaning "an administrative district in France" doesn't have much in common with the Italian comune, which is more specific- it's a town or city government.

In the end, if the reader is able to understand from context that a person writing commune is trying to refer to a comune, communication is successful and that's all that matters.
Last edited by Miserdo on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miserdo

Postby Em » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:03 am

I can't tell you how many times, with my still limited vocabulary, I assume that the Italian word is simply the English word with an "o" added to it. It's a good thing Italians have a sense of humor. :lol:
Em

Postby ICGSAdmin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:44 pm

I can recall waiting in line to buy a kebab in Florence and a few American students disputing the cost of their order with the Turk behind the counter. They kept asking for a "receipto", much to the amusement of myself and a few others present :)!
ICGSAdmin
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous