Italian politics

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Italian politics

Postby marciatrouton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:55 am

This might be a laughable question but is there anyone out there that could give me a brief synopsis of what is happening in Italy right now interms of politics, Prodi, Bruscoloni, Neopalitan? I only think I spelled Prodi's name correctly but too lazy to run up and get my Italian newspaper. Anyway I get the italian paper weekly and am beginning to get some idea but would appreciate a brief current explanation if possible. Thanks marcia
marciatrouton

Postby Miserdo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:33 am

Prodi is prime minister.
Berlusconi is ex-prime minister. Now he's a senator.
Napolitano is the president.
Miserdo

dynamics

Postby marciatrouton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:21 am

Thanks Miserdo but wondering what is the dynamic read an article today about someone quitting and wanting new elections? because Prodi is an embarrassment to the country? Is it possible to peg them for me liberal, moderate, right wing? or steer me to a source where I can get a quick lesson before I leave in two weeks, not that I plan to discuss politics in my budding italian but being a history major I am really interested and it is hard playing catch-up when I have to stop and look up the definition of every other word. And eventually planning to live there would be interested which way the winds are blowing.

Thanks Marcia
marciatrouton

Postby Miserdo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:19 am

Prodi is center-left, with an unstable coalition including the Catholic parties and communist parties, so he is susceptible to stepping down anytime. He withstood one vote of confidence a couple of months ago, but next time who knows.

Berlusconi is on the right. He's itching to get back in power, and tries to undermine Prodi at every opportunity.

Napolitano is the president, so he will be around for awhile (if he can keep alive!). He's also center left.

If you want english, http://www.iht.com is good. Go to Europe section and look for articles about Italy.
Miserdo

thanks a lot

Postby marciatrouton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:50 am

That is great information Miserdo and gives me enough context to muddle through the articles in Italian perhaps looking up a few less words. I will also check out the English site. Much appreciated. Marcia
marciatrouton

Italian politics

Postby marciatrouton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:55 am

Thanks Miserdo, great synopsis and gives me enough context to continue to muddle through the articles in italian perhaps only looking up every third word. I will also check out the English site. Much appreciated Marcia
marciatrouton

Sorry

Postby marciatrouton » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:57 am

Sorry guys for the double post. Click happy I guess Marcia
marciatrouton

Return to Miscellaneous