born in italy but...

General.

Moderator: Daniel

born in italy but...

Postby icho38 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:18 am

I was born in italy and have a venezuelan passport but im a resident of US i will like to have my italian citizenship back, i've been told that i lost it, and i have to apply for it. where do i do this? in the usa or in venezuela?? i went to the italian consulate in detroit and they told me i have to do it in italy, when i was in italy i got some papers with me and took them to a goverment office in verona and they told me i have to do this in the usa!! what do i do? i have my dad's papers showing that he was italian when i was born, i have my birhtcertificate, my dad's my mothers(she is venezuelan), please help me on this, i want to retired in verona where i was born.
icho38

Postby Em » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:43 am

If you lost your Italian citizenship through naturalization, you can reacquire it by residing in Italy for one year. You obtain the necessary permesso at the consulate, then go to Italy to complete the residency requirement.
Em

thank you

Postby icho38 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:46 am

Thank you for your response, i guess i will do that some time. grazie mile.[/b]
icho38

Postby Miserdo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:42 pm

You obtain the necessary permesso at the consulate, then go to Italy to complete the residency requirement.

The consulate can give you a visa, but they cannot give you a permesso di soggiorno. You must apply for a permesso di soggiorno in Italy, either at the questura or via the Italian post office. Once you have the permesso di soggiorno, you can apply for residenza at the angrafe. Once your residenza is granted, the one year clock starts.
Miserdo

Return to Miscellaneous