Assistance in obtaining Italian citizenship

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Assistance in obtaining Italian citizenship

Postby nchiominto » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:24 pm

I have had may starts and stops over the years attempting to obtain dual US and Italian citizenship. I continue to receive conflicting information. I am looking for law firm or other legal entity to retain to complete the process for me once and for all. I believe that I qualify for dual citizenship. I have many of the required documents. Any suggestions would be appreciated. [/b]
nchiominto

Postby Em » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:49 pm

I can't offer any information on an lawyer, but if you have the documents, you can present them to the consulate just as easily as a lawyer and at far less cost. Is there a problem with the documents or the line you are using?
Em

Postby nchiominto » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:33 am

Except for locating my grandparents marriage certificate, my documents are in order. I was under the impression that if my grandfather became a naturalized citizen of the US prior to my father being born, I was not eligible for dual citizenship. However, it now appears that I could be eligible through my great grandfather. My great grandfather was born in Italy and never came to the US. I am just trying to get the straight story.
nchiominto

Postby penguindump » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:33 pm

You are correct; if your grandfather naturalized before your father was born, the Italian citizenship did not transmit from your gf to your father.

It sounds as if you will be attempting to skip a generation or two back to your ggf. Unfortunately, the line has to come straight through your grandfather and father to you. If this is not what you meant, then I apologize for the mistake.

Any other options?
penguindump

Postby nchiominto » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:51 pm

Thank you for the reply. That is correct. My grandfather became a naturalized citizen before my father was born. You confirmed my thinking that I can not bypass my grandfather and use my great grandfathers Italian citizenship as my method of obtaining my citizenship. After reading various news articles, it appeared easier, or that I had other options. Apparently not true. I have family still living in Italy, and I own a home there. I will try another option in Italy.
nchiominto

Postby Em » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:37 pm

And yours is a good option especially since you already own a home in Italy. A three-year residency will do it.
Em

Return to Miscellaneous