Which passport to use?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Which passport to use?

Postby lc3708 » Sat May 24, 2008 2:00 pm

Hey there

I am thinking ahead to a round-trip I am planning on making... taking a brief hiatus from a trip abroad to return to the US for my Italian passport (my citizenship claim is in-process). I plan to return to the US from Europe for about a month, in order to apply for my passport from the Boston Consulate. I would like to return to Europe on my Italian passport, but am worried about discrepancies in the booking. I will need to book my flight with my US passport number, so would it be possible to check-in and go through US passport control on my US passport for my outbound flight, and then check-in on my US passport but go through passport control on my Italian passport? I was thinking that passport control has never asked to see my ticket/booking, and that rules regarding entering countries where you hold citizenship on that particular passport. So, for example, if I booked a round-trip flight to Italy, I would need to enter Italy on my Italian passport, and the US on my US passport, so which would be used for flight booking? I would be grateful to anyone with any thoughts/experiences on the matter, I am hoping this isn't a big deal! Thanks.

Leigh
lc3708

Passport

Postby Davide » Mon May 26, 2008 7:44 am

As an American Citizen, you must leave the USA (book your flight) with an American passport, and enter the USA with your American Passport. As an Italian Citizen you must enter and leave Italy (Passport Control) with your Italian Passport. This is both USA and Italian law. Since 9/11 things are very strict these days. If there are any questions, have both passports in hand.
Davide

Re: Passport

Postby peggymckee » Mon May 26, 2008 9:33 am

Davide wrote:As an Italian Citizen you must enter and leave Italy (Passport Control) with your Italian Passport.
Suppose a dual US/IT citizen flies from USA to EU county that isn't Italy--would you happen to know which PP to present when landing in EU? Thanks, Peg
peggymckee

Which passport response.

Postby Davide » Tue May 27, 2008 7:49 am

Yes, as a citizen of the E.U. you are required to enter E.U. member countries with your Italian Passport ( E.U. Passport). If you are traveling to a non E.U. country, I would think the passport you present would be up to you.

Remember, of course, that if you use your Italian Passport to enter a non E.U. country, (for that matter, even a E.U. member country), you will be entering as a citizen of Italy. If you get into any "trouble" in the host country, the USA cannot, (will not) do anything for you.
Davide

Postby Luca722 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Just out of curiosity, if a US/IT citizen flies to an EU country for a short term visit, and he/she presents his/her US PP and not their IT PP, are there any consequences?

Best,
Luca
Luca722

Postby Davide » Tue May 27, 2008 3:30 pm

Luca, that is a good question. I know if a dual citizen USA/It enters Italian on a USA PP, instead of an Italian PP, if discovered, there is a very high fine. I am not sure about other E.U. countries.
Davide

Re: Which passport response.

Postby CJC » Tue May 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Davide wrote:Remember, of course, that if you use your Italian Passport to enter a non E.U. country, (for that matter, even a E.U. member country), you will be entering as a citizen of Italy. If you get into any "trouble" in the host country, the USA cannot, (will not) do anything for you.

I tend to disagree with the US being unable to provide consular assistance to you. So long as you have a valid US Passport, you would be able to use the consular assistance of the United States. Likewise as an Italian citizen, you would be able to use the consular assistance of Italy.

Now getting in touch with US consular officials may be difficult as you would want to show the arresting authority your valid entry stamp to their country, which would be in your Italian passport if you entered with that passport. However, simply entering a country would not exclude you from consular assistance if you can demonstrate your nationality to the country of which you desire assistance.

If anything, you have two options, assuming diplomatic representation of both Italy and the USA exists where you're traveling. You also have the option of using another EU based country consular service if the Italian government has no diplomatic representaiton in a particular country in which you are traveling, but another EU country does, as the EU charter provides for that.
CJC

Location: Northern California, USA (Applied at Philadelphia consulate)

Postby EUjoy » Tue May 27, 2008 5:33 pm

if traveling to or within the EU, is there any reason not to just show both passports? i mean obviously to be in the "EU line" but still show your US one as well to be safe, so they know you are dual?

i'm just wondering why that's not the standard thing people do. but there must be a reason ... please fill me in. thanks.
EUjoy

Re: Which passport response.

Postby CJC » Wed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm

CJC wrote:If anything, you have two options, assuming diplomatic representation of both Italy and the USA exists where you're traveling. You also have the option of using another EU based country consular service if the Italian government has no diplomatic representaiton in a particular country in which you are traveling, but another EU country does, as the EU charter provides for that.

It just occurred to me that what I said may be confusing. You should have your choice of consular services (US or Italy) if you are traveling *outside* the EU or US.

If inside the EU or US you'll be subject to the citizenship you hold in those locations, and will not be able to receive help from the country of your second citizenship.
CJC

Postby lc3708 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:43 pm

The other part of my question was how you go about booking a flight, as most airlines require travel info (ie passport number) to use when checking in. What I am concerned about is whether or not it matters that when I book my flight I will not have my Italian passport yet - but I will by the time I leave the US, and will enter the UK on it. If I check-in at the US airport with my US passport, and then go through UK immigration with my Italian passport, do you not get in trouble for having the travel document not match your ticket? Do you have to say you are a dual citizen before booking your flight?
lc3708

Postby Federuk » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:35 am

lc3708,

My suggestion would be to book your flights with your American passport. Since Americans don't need a visa to enter the UK, you will not be asked for anything else than your valid American passport at check-in.

However, for some non-American citizens, you may need a visa to enter the UK, in that case you have to tell the check-in person, that you have dual non-American-Italian citizenship, there's nothing illegal with that.

Back to your situation lc3708, when you finally arrive at the UK, go to the EU immigration line, and show your Italian passport, you will not be asked for your ticket. (they can ask for your ticket at the non-EU citizens line, but again, you should not be in that line). In the rare case that they ask for your ticket at the EU citizens line, you can mention that you have dual US-Italian citizenship, nothing wrong with that.

When leaving the UK, show your US passport at check-in (it will be on your ticket), and your Italian passport to immigration. I think it's very important to show the same passport to immigration that you used when you entered the country. Back in the States, proceed through immigration with your US passport.

Hope this helps,

Fede.
Federuk

Postby EUjoy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:51 am

i moved to england yesterday, now that i have my italian (EU) passport. i left the united states with my italian passport (showed it at JFK) and entered london with my same italian passport. when i went thru passport control, the officer looked at my passport and said, "you're italian. you were born in new haven. ok. you're italian while you're here, and when you go back to america, you're american. got it?"

so that was helpful. "official" word from an "official" as to how it should be done.

Davide wrote:As an American Citizen, you must leave the USA (book your flight) with an American passport
this confused me a bit. i used my italian passport the entire time to get to the EU. when i go back home, i'll use my american passport. did i do something wrong?
EUjoy

Postby Em » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:29 am

I think Davide is correct in that the U.S. expects its citizens to enter and to leave the country as Americans, and Italy expects its citizens to enter and leave the country as Italians. While in Italy (or the EU) you are treated as an Italian, and any problems you may have along the way are handled by the Italian embassy.

You do not get into trouble if your travel document does not match your passport. It is not illegal to be a dual citizen, and you have two passports to prove this is the case.

So, yes joy, I think you did it the wrong way; but you're there now, and I doubt it will cause you difficulty.
Em

Postby italy_au » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:29 am

EUjoy wrote:i moved to england yesterday, now that i have my italian (EU) passport. i left the united states with my italian passport (showed it at JFK) and entered london with my same italian passport. when i went thru passport control, the officer looked at my passport and said, "you're italian. you were born in new haven. ok. you're italian while you're here, and when you go back to america, you're american. got it?"

so that was helpful. "official" word from an "official" as to how it should be done.

Davide wrote:As an American Citizen, you must leave the USA (book your flight) with an American passport
this confused me a bit. i used my italian passport the entire time to get to the EU. when i go back home, i'll use my american passport. did i do something wrong?

You Definetely must LEAVE and ENTER the United States on your US passport, I would contact the US Embassy at Grovenor Square immediately and inform them that you did not leave the USA on your US passport. As state here; http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _1753.html all US citizens must leave and enter the USA using their US passport.

If you did not do this, in the eyes of the US government you are still in New York. So I would speak to someone at the department of state.
italy_au

Postby CJC » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:05 am

italy_au wrote:You Definetely must LEAVE and ENTER the United States on your US passport, I would contact the US Embassy at Grovenor Square immediately and inform them that you did not leave the USA on your US passport. As state here; http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _1753.html all US citizens must leave and enter the USA using their US passport.

If you did not do this, in the eyes of the US government you are still in New York. So I would speak to someone at the department of state.

I think contacting the American Embassy or consulate abroad would complicate this. Tremendously.

Who is to say that they didn't go to Canada by land, then fly over to the UK from there? It's entirely possible to go into Canada without a passport by land, and then come back to the US by air where you will be required to show the US passport. My point being is there are legitimate reasons that this type of border "transaction" could happen.

I'd say feel free to fly back. Just make sure the next time you do this that you leave the US with the American passport.
CJC

Next

Return to Miscellaneous