Rocco, Ferrara?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Rocco, Ferrara?

Postby mangiafuoco » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Looking back at some old documents that my great-grandfather filled out, I'm confused by where he was actually born. In some cases it merely lists the province Ferrara, in others it mentions Rocco or Rocca Ferrara. I haven't been able to find a Rocca or Rocco on any online map service and google searches aren't giving results that make much sence. Is there a chance that it's Ro or Zocca?

Thank You for your help!
mangiafuoco

Re: Rocco, Ferrara?

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:04 pm

mangiafuoco wrote:Looking back at some old documents that my great-grandfather filled out, I'm confused by where he was actually born. In some cases it merely lists the province Ferrara, in others it mentions Rocco or Rocca Ferrara. I haven't been able to find a Rocca or Rocco on any online map service and google searches aren't giving results that make much sence. Is there a chance that it's Ro or Zocca?

Thank You for your help!

There is a frazioni (subdivision, village) within the Comune di Polesella in the province of Rovigo (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polesella). Google map http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGIH_enUS211US211&um=1&q=rocca+ferrara&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=4&ct=more-results&cd=1 places it about 26.6 km NNE of the Comune di Ferrara which is the capital cty of the province of Ferrara.

Maybe this is the Rocca you are seeking?

Unfortunately, "Rocca" is a common prefix for hundreds (?) of villages large and small throughout Italy.
AnotherCitizenToBe

Postby mangiafuoco » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:50 pm

I just looked at a ship manifest and found the address "Rocca Ferrara Parma". When I put that in Google Maps, it turns out that Rocca Ferrara is a street in Varsi, Parma. Does that seem likely?
mangiafuoco

Postby AnotherCitizenToBe » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:32 pm

mangiafuoco wrote:I just looked at a ship manifest and found the address "Rocca Ferrara Parma". When I put that in Google Maps, it turns out that Rocca Ferrara is a street in Varsi, Parma. Does that seem likely?

Sounds very possible. Unusual, perhaps, but certainly possible.
AnotherCitizenToBe

Postby Monica » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:46 pm

My grandmas maiden name is Rocco. Would like to know is that sicily or calabria?
Monica

Return to Miscellaneous