Just for fun: how many people are required to resubmit docs?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Just for fun: how many people are required to resubmit docs?

Postby valentinaroan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Here's a question; just out of curiosity, do any of you have an idea of how many people are required to resubmit documents/have multiple appointments at the consulate? Obviously, it all depends on how complete you application is and which consulate you are dealing with. To me, at least, it seems like well over 50% of applicants have more than the simple 'submit your documents and a letter shows up a couple of months to a couple of years later'. So what you do all think the percentage is? Just for fun, I'm going to say 60%.
valentinaroan

Re: Just for fun: how many people are required to resubmit docs?

Postby LookingEast » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:07 pm

I appeared at the consulate twice before my application was taken, and my documents were taken on my third visit.

Each time, I was told that my application was incomplete. It was not a matter of resubmitting anything, but rather of needing more documents. They did not request that I have anything amended, or that I give them anything twice.
LookingEast

Postby matta » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:19 pm

Honestly, I bet it's much lower. I have a feeling that the majority of people who apply are very "simple" cases, e.g. a US-born person who's mother was born in Italy and naturalized after the child's birth.

I just think that people "closer" to the old country would be more likely to value and therefore seek citizenship. I think we don't see those sorts of people on here because their case is so simple, they don't need to look for outside help.

Then again, bet a good percentage of people that apply with complicated cases (i.e. multiple generations) probably don't research the process and show up with shoe boxes full of all sorts of things that the consulates have to work through.
matta

Postby yjg » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:33 am

Matta said, "Then again, bet a good percentage of people that apply with complicated cases (i.e. multiple generations) probably don't research the process and show up with shoe boxes full of all sorts of things that the consulates have to work through."

I think you are right about that. When I presented my very complex generational documents, I took the time to check and recheck and make sure I had all the documents with all the apostilles with all the translations in perfect order. Ms. Stone even commented on the fantastic job I did putting it all together with such a big application. She said even those with much simpler applications weren't even this well put together. So I think they do get a lot of people who don't take the time to make sure it is right. Anyway, the effort paid off because there was nothing missing and everything was in order. She was very happy about that!
yjg

Postby valentinaroan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:30 am

Interesting responses! Even though I haven't had my appointment at the consulate yet, what you all say makes sense to me. Honestly, the people who post online seem like the more complicated cases and/or (unfortunately) the horror stories. I was curious though, because it seems like pretty much everyone is going in for followup appointments. Probably just my over reactive imagination though :roll:
valentinaroan

Postby Larry » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:59 pm

I went in once for my mother's application and once a week later for mine. I probably would have needed to go in a time or two more if it were not for this forum! I tried very hard to have everything perfect before I went in though. I did not want to go in more than once for each application.

I believe everything yjg, matta, et al. have said is well founded.
Larry

Postby CJC » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:53 pm

I went for my appointment and was accepted on the first try. Of course, I got to use the consulate in Philadelphia, so that may have had something to do with it.

I had more trouble getting the passport than I did getting my documents submitted. Thanks to the people on this message board, I was prepared and had everything in order before I got there. So I suppose the lesson in my case that I can give to everyone else still going through the process, is to pay attention to what is being said on these message boards. The people here that have completed the process are a valuable source of information.
CJC

Location: Northern California, USA (Applied at Philadelphia consulate)

Postby jlg » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:05 pm

I must be a doofus, I practically have a cot at the consulate(s), none of mine were done in less than 4 visits.

Then again, I have visited Boston, NYC and Chicago to push paperwork along for myself and my family with parallel sets of applications and paperwork as fast as possible. Still waiting on about half.

-JLG
jlg

Postby valentinaroan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:07 pm

Yep, I agree! The people here are incredible; I know I would not be as prepared as I am now if it weren't for all of you! Right now my appointment is 16 weeks off, and I'm waiting for a corrected death certificate to come back from NYC. Other than that I'm done, and I think I have everything I need! I'm just hoping that the consulate won't give me trouble over my ggf & ggm's uncorrectable marriage certificate, or, the single "R" which was given to my gf as a middle name, but appears no where else. (This could be changed, but require a court order, so, since it is so minor, in my eyes at least, I'm not going to change it unless the consulate forces me to).

Also, though, for me it's going to be a problem if they don't accept/need corrections/etc. on my 1st appointment, because I am starting a new school shortly after my appointment, and will be thousands of miles away from the NYC consulate, and all my time will be consumed with being a student. That's sort of why I wanted to know if many people had multiple consular appointments; just to see what my odds are of only one trip in to NYC. I'm definitely prepared to go to the consulate and not hear what I want to hear, but hopefully, it'll all go as planned.
valentinaroan

Postby isfour » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:15 am

To everyone who replied to this thread: what were the discrepancies found in your docs that had to be fixed?
isfour

Postby Em » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:34 am

I went in the first time only for a consult. This was several years ago, and the consulates were not as overwhelmed as they are now; it was very easy to schedule early appointments. Four months later my son and I went in with all our documents including my unamended birth certificate. I was expecting the amended certificate within a month, and we were told that we could mail it in. And that was it, EXCEPT for one additional visit from my husband--not at their request. He brought in copies of the entire file, translations (which were not required when we applied), and a question: "What's the holdup?" Six weeks later, citizenship.

BTW, since the spam attack, I've only been opening threads started by names I recognize. It was nice to find one today.
Em

Postby isfour » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:30 am

Yes, it feels like we're under attack, doesn't it?
isfour

Postby piccola_pampina » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:42 am

Em wrote:I went in the first time only for a consult. This was several years ago, and the consulates were not as overwhelmed as they are now; it was very easy to schedule early appointments. Four months later my son and I went in with all our documents including my unamended birth certificate. I was expecting the amended certificate within a month, and we were told that we could mail it in. And that was it, EXCEPT for one additional visit from my husband--not at their request. He brought in copies of the entire file, translations (which were not required when we applied), and a question: "What's the holdup?" Six weeks later, citizenship.

BTW, since the spam attack, I've only been opening threads started by names I recognize. It was nice to find one today.

Em, you had applied also in Newark. So in total, how long was the combined wait for applying to both consulates? Didn't you apply to the one in Newark first? Just curious..
piccola_pampina

Postby Tiffany » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:04 am

Took me two visits, but then I applied jure matrimonis, so it's not the same...
Tiffany

Postby Em » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:47 am

My son and I applied in NY in August 2007, but NY said it would not process my application because I didn't have a NY address. In February 2008, I decided to go ahead with my own application in Newark with a new set of documents. Several months later, my husband went to the NY consulate to submit translations and check on the status of my son's application. Six weeks later, in early May 2008, my son received the letter from NY.

I also received a letter so apparently they kept my application on file and forgot that they said they would not process it. In September, 2008, we both went into NY for our passports, and when I got mine, I went back to Newark to withdraw my second application. I was a bit disconcerted, however, to discover that in the seven months Newark had my file, nothing had been done with it. It was returned to me intact.

So, the wait time was 21 months total in NY, but based on how quickly things moved after my husband's visit, I think it would now be a much shorter time. I was told two years in Newark when I submitted my paperwork in February, 2008.
Em

Next

Return to Miscellaneous