Just for fun: how many people are required to resubmit docs?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: Just for fun: how many people are required to resubmit docs?

Postby piccola_pampina » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Two years? :shock: I can't wait 2 years to have it processed. I hope that since then they have sped up the process, otherwise I'm screwed... Well, whenever I get a chance to go, which looks like it will be in July or August because I'll be in Italy for a month (yes! :D ), I will be sure to inform everyone of the processing time.
piccola_pampina

Postby Em » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Sorry. :cry: Actually Newark is one of the consulates that sends all documents out for verification by the local consulate. I was also told that they would not let me apply for a passport until the comune reported that my documents had been registered. In NY, when they send the documents to the comune, they let you have a passport.

Newark has also added several NJ counties to its jurisdiction, so unless they have additional help, that may slow them down a bit. It is a good sign, though, that they are still accepting walk-in applicants.

But waiting's not so bad when you're young. So smile; it will happen. :D
Em

Postby Elia » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:45 pm

In my case my first appointment took place in May of 2008. I have had four subsequent appointments all in order to resubmit documents (all from Massachusetts) that have had to be amended due to mispellings, incorrect information etc. I think this is most common for older individuals like myself whose grandparents on both sides came over at the end of the 19th century during the period of great immigration. At that time you had hapless Yankee bureaucrfats who all of a sudden tfound themselves dealing with strange names and incomprehensible languages of many and diverse origins. they did the best they could whkch in many cases was pretty bad. For instance, my paternal grandfather remarried after my grandmother's death in the influenza epidemic, He had had nine children. But the marraige certificate put him down as single. The same for my step grandmother who had a son and whose name they mispelled pretty badly. As far as my grandfather's death certificate is concerned, forget it> There were five egregious errors and numerous mispellings. Luckily the massachusetts authnorities will correct all of these discrepancies provided I give them corroborating documentation. This I have for the most part. I am waiting for a birth certificate and marriage certificate from my step grandmother's commune. (Massachusetts wants this not the conslulate). Let me give you a tip. If you want correct information with correct spellings go to the records of the Catholkc Church. Like many Italians my grandparents belonged to an Italian parish staffed by Italian priests who spoke the language and knew the proper spellings of names. State authorities will accept church documents for purposes of emending their own documentrs provided that they are certified. They know that the Church, as far as Italians and poles and other foreigners were concerned, was by far a better record keeper than the state for the reason indicated. I do not blame the consulate for requiring corrections and having me come back again and again. The problem lies with the American documents not with Italian attitudes. Thje Italian docuemnts are incredibly detailed and precise.The consulates cannot send innacurate documents to the comunes. For instance, when I got my Grfandfather's birth certificate (1873) from Vallata it contained a full page narrative of the day of his birth including the hour and the address and the backgrounds of his parents and the names and ages of his father (my great grandfather 1837) as well as the name of my greatgrandfather's father and also (believe it or not) the names of two witnesses of the birth with the names of their fathers plius the name of the mayor to whom my grandfather as an infant was being presented for verification. With this one document I was able to go back five generations almost to the 18th century. In view of that you can imagine the consternation of Italians when they are presented with the some of our American documents.
Elia

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous