Citizenship

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Citizenship

Postby pete r » Wed May 27, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi,

In a few websites and articles I have read there is an indication that there have been cases in which Italian citizenship has been granted to a foreigner that has Italian grandparents, but does not quailfy for jure sanguinis. I have been offered a job in Western Europe, however the organisation will not sponsor me as they are required to employee staff from their member states - however they are (also) of the opinion that I would have a valid case to apply for Italian citizenship, and therefore happy to offer me the job.

Has anyone any idea how I would apply - either direct to my local Italian embassy or consulate, the Ministero dell'Interno or the Ministero degli Affari Esteri?

thanks, Pete
pete r

Re: Citizenship

Postby zagnut » Thu May 28, 2009 1:40 am

If you have an Italian grandparent, you can naturalize after residing legally 3 years in Italy.
zagnut

Postby pete r » Thu May 28, 2009 2:14 am

Hi Zagnut,

Thanks for that. However the position (job) is not in Italy, and I am required to live in Belgium first up (1 - 2 years) then can move to Italy and work from there. But need the EU citizenship first up.

Pete.
pete r

Postby Tiffany » Thu May 28, 2009 2:52 am

Sorry, to get Italian citizenship through the 3 year route, you will need to reside in Italy. If the chain is broken and you do not qualify for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis, there is no other recourse other than the 3 year route which requires you to be a legal resident of Italy.
Tiffany

Postby pete r » Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 am

Thank you for the information. So I guess there is no way to obtain Italian citizenship without living in Italy. Even through representation direct to the Italian Government?

Unfortunately I miss out on jure sanguinis as my father was born prior to 1948, even though my grandmother was naturalised after his birth.
pete r

Postby BBCWatcher » Thu May 28, 2009 11:45 am

So your paternal grandfather was not an Italian citizen? Was he born in Ireland by any chance?

Any other Italian chain available?
BBCWatcher

Postby pete r » Thu May 28, 2009 9:57 pm

Both grandparents were born in Italy, and my grandfather naturalized before my father's birth unfortunately. And with the pre-1948 rule about females unable to pass on citizenship I miss out.
pete r

Postby BBCWatcher » Fri May 29, 2009 4:01 am

If you can reside legally in Belgium for three years, Belgian citizenship is available. (Well, that's what Wikipedia says anyway.) Would that work?
BBCWatcher

Postby zagnut » Fri May 29, 2009 4:18 am

zagnut

Postby pete r » Fri May 29, 2009 5:10 am

Thanks for the replies to date. However, I actually need the citizenship upfront or within a few months of arriving. As my heritage is Italian I thought that may be the most likely course of action – apply (pleading) to the Italian government in the hope that they waive the normal waiting period.

As I mentioned initially a few websites and articles, I have read indicate that there have been cases in which Italian citizenship has been granted to a foreigner that has Italian grandparents, but does not qualify for jure sanguinis – but the sites did not mention if the 3 year period was waived.
pete r

Postby zagnut » Fri May 29, 2009 5:18 am

It's Italian law (Legge 91/1992) so can't be simply waived.
zagnut

Postby pete r » Fri May 29, 2009 5:47 am

Zagnut,

Thanks for that. I guess I will have to put it back on the Company to sponsor me, as I am thinking I will not be able to rent long term without EU citizenship.
pete r

Postby zagnut » Fri May 29, 2009 8:12 am

No need for EU citizenship to rent or buy property.
zagnut

Postby pete r » Fri May 29, 2009 8:20 am

Is that right - what about opening Bank accounts for salary and pay from an employer?
pete r

Postby BBCWatcher » Fri May 29, 2009 8:41 am

A bank account should be no problem, as long as you are legally residing in the E.U. and provide that documentation when you open the account. There are plenty of non-citizens working legally in the European Union. Otherwise, for example, foreign companies couldn't station their own senior managers at their European Union subsidiaries.

The company that wants to hire you would have to help arrange an appropriate work permit for you. (They were undoubtedly exploring your citizenship status because it's easier and probably cheaper for them to hire an E.U./E.E.A. citizen.) Each country is a little different. Here's the information on getting a work visa for Belgium:

http://www.diplomatie.be/en/travel/visa ... XTID=44253

Typically you would have to fall into one of the following categories to qualify: "highly qualified staff, researchers, trainees, or au pairs."
BBCWatcher

Next

Return to Miscellaneous