Citizenship

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: Citizenship

Postby pete r » Fri May 29, 2009 8:49 am

Hey thanks for that BBCWatcher. I do have one further question - do you have a similar link to the Belgium one (http://www.diplomatie.be/en/travel/visa ... XTID=44253) for Luxembourg?

Thanks again.
pete r

Postby zagnut » Fri May 29, 2009 10:37 am

pete r wrote:Is that right - what about opening Bank accounts for salary and pay from an employer?

No, you don't need to be an EU citizen to open a bank account.
zagnut

Postby BBCWatcher » Fri May 29, 2009 10:56 am

Luxembourg has a Web site here with some information:

http://www.mae.lu

Most of the information posted is in French. But, to summarize, in terms of obtaining a work permit, it's discretionary. To make a decision the government wants to see an employment contract (from your prospective employer), your C.V., diploma(s) and/or other professional certification(s), criminal background check, cover letter, and some other standard documents. They'll all need to be certified copies, of course.

The Embassy of Luxembourg in Washington has a Web site here:

http://washington.mae.lu
BBCWatcher

Postby piccola_pampina » Sun May 31, 2009 12:29 am

How would you just be able to naturalize after 3 years by having an Italian grandparent. Isn't it like the same thing?! How would you be able to go about it? Do you obtain a special visa or something? If I don't qualify for jure sanguinis because of the 1912 law, I would love to know about this one! Does the naturalizing affect the American citizenship?
piccola_pampina

Postby zagnut » Sun May 31, 2009 3:57 am

There's no special visa for it. You would need to reside legally 3 years in Italy. The best ways I can think of to do this are:
1) Elective residence visa (tough to get unless you are independently wealthy)

2) Student visa- you would need to enroll in an Italian university degree program

3) Work visa- always difficult to get, and currently nearly impossible, as the quotas are stopped due to bad economy

4) Family visa- if you have blood relatives resident in Italy who will allow you to live with them for 3 years, this might work.
zagnut

Postby Nicola » Sun May 31, 2009 6:25 am

piccola_pampina wrote:How would you just be able to naturalize after 3 years by having an Italian grandparent. Isn't it like the same thing?! How would you be able to go about it? Do you obtain a special visa or something? If I don't qualify for jure sanguinis because of the 1912 law, I would love to know about this one! Does the naturalizing affect the American citizenship?

What's the longest you've ever lived in Italy? It's not for everybody. I wouldn't jump at the three year rule without at least a trial run.
Nicola

Postby zagnut » Sun May 31, 2009 6:45 am

Forgot to add earlier, naturalizing in Italy does not cause loss of US citizenship.
zagnut

Postby Monica » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:37 pm

Would it just be easier to reside in italy for 3 years than going through this process? and since you have blood relatives in italy can you live in a different town than them?
Monica

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous