discrepancies on documents outside the line of descent

General.

Moderator: Daniel

discrepancies on documents outside the line of descent

Postby Elia » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:33 pm

I have had five appointments at the consulate in New York. There is no question that I have inherited Italian citizeship. They would not keep giving me appointments otherwise. The problem is my massachusetts documents. They are a mess. The inaccuracies and outright errors are incredible. I suppose there was a great deal of confusion at the time due to the tremendous influx of every nationality speaking diverse languages and with strange names unfamiliar to the yankee bureacrats who oftentimes just ended up transliterating foreign names. All my documents in the direct line from my paternal grandparents who emigrated in 1897 are in order. The problems lie with two documents outside the line of descent, my grandfather's death certificate and his second marriage certificate which took place after my grandmother died in the influenza epidemic of 1918. The Boston archivists are willing to make the changes the consulate has asked for but are requiring my step-grandmother's birth certificate which cannot be found in her comune. Why are the second marriage and the death certificate necessary since the events they record took place after my grandfather was naturalized in 1915? It would seem that the relevant documents for registration in my ancestral comune would be those having to do only with those who continued to possess Italian citizenship, namely, my father and me. Can someone clarify this? I should note that I have been at this now for two years and I have noticed a change of attitude in Massachusetts. I was originally told that the documents regarding a deceased person could not be changed. Now they have a modification unit that seems incrdibly flexible as long as you have verifying documentation. I was told for the first time last year that exceptions are made for tose pursuing dual citizenship.
Elia

Re: discrepancies on documents outside the line of descent

Postby alyshahurd » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:50 pm

I just talked to someone at the consulate (in the citizenship dept) on tuesday. When I called I stated who I was applying through (GGF->GF->F-> ME) and then asked questions. I stated that on my GF birth certificate it listed his mother's name incorrectly (my GGM put her nickname instead of her real name) and then mentioned that I had a certified copy (well I WILL have one very soon) of my GGM's death certificate that specifically states that she was AKA Minnie. He told me that I wouldn't need to provide her documents since she is not in the direct line.

please NOTE: Others from NY have stated that they have needed the documents NOT in the direct line so I really think it depends on who you meet with at your appt.
Hope this info helps
alyshahurd

Return to Miscellaneous