azsumrg1rl wrote :
> "I have mostly italian features..."
>
> Given the variance in hair color, eye color, and skin tone in Italy, I'd
> like to know what you think are mostly Italian features. If you're thinking
> the darker skin and hair, then you're alienating a large percentage of
> Italians that don't fit the Americanized stereotype of what an Italian
> should look like.

Deep set eyes, high cheek bones, thick wavy hair, hair that gets darker with time if its not already when your a child. Hazel eyes or brown eyes, shorter, can easily form a gut over time, can tan easier if you already arent tan.
Although I do aknowledge that both my Grandmothers family was on the lighter side and were from the south, but grandfather was on the darker side being from the north. I did take after the lighter side but my mom is dark brother is too. Perhaps I am only sterotyping my own family.
Monica

Re: Italian citizenship for everyone?

Postby azsumrg1rl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Monica wrote:
>"Perhaps I am only stereotyping my own family."

I think that is probably more accurate. ;-)
azsumrg1rl

Postby zagnut » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:21 am

How ignorant- move here and look around you for a few years. There are native Italians with naturally blonde or red hair and fair skin, and there are native Italians with black hair and skin as dark as a Morocan's. There are native Italians under 5 feet tall, and others closer to 7 feet. Some are fat, others are thin as rails.

Italians are from the Veneto and Lombardia, as well as Campagne and Sicilia. There's no such thing as "Italian features".
zagnut

Postby azsumrg1rl » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:28 pm

That was my point exactly, Zagnut.

I'm pretty tired of hearing that I'm not Italian or that my mother (who is 100% Italian) is not Italian because we do not fit the Americanized stereotype of what an Italian is. I have to roll my eyes when people guess that my friend who is only of slight Italian descent is Italian (because she fits this stereotype) and completely ignore me or tell me I'm full of it when I tell them I'm Italian too (because I'm blonde with green eyes).
azsumrg1rl

Postby Monica » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:19 pm

I don't appreciate you calling me ignorant.
Monica

Postby zagnut » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Azsumrgirl, tell them there are 100% native Italians here in northern Italy with naturally blonde hair and green eyes. It's an ethnically diverse nation- there have been waves of migration flowing through here for millenia.
zagnut

Postby Monica » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:49 pm

zagnut wrote :
> Azsumrgirl, tell them there are 100% native Italians here in northern Italy
> with naturally blonde hair and green eyes. It's an ethnically diverse
> nation- there have been waves of migration flowing through here for
> millenia.
Of course during the dark ages there were plenty invasion. When I was a young child I had green eyes and blonde hair.
Monica

Postby zagnut » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:35 pm

I'd recommend putting some effort into studying Italy's history- probably many good references available at your local library. It's a bit more complicated than "Of course during the dark ages there were plenty invasion."
zagnut

Postby azsumrg1rl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Zagnut wrote:
>Azsumrgirl, tell them there are 100% native Italians here in northern Italy with naturally blonde hair and green eyes.

That's exactly what I do tell them. But people still think I'm wrong/lying because they are too ignorant to listen. And sometimes they insult me further by reiterating, "Well, I'm just saying you don't look Italian." At that point I just sigh and call them a moron under my breath. ;-)
azsumrg1rl

Postby softouch115 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Monica wrote :
> Deep set eyes, high cheek bones, thick wavy hair, hair that gets
> darker with time if its not already when your a child. Hazel eyes or brown eyes,
> shorter, can easily form a gut over time, can tan easier if you already arent tan.
> Although I do aknowledge that both my Grandmothers family was on the lighter side
> and were from the south, but grandfather was on the darker side being from the north.
> I did take after the lighter side but my mom is dark brother is too. Perhaps I am
> only sterotyping my own family.

I have crystal blue eyes, which I get from my blond-haired and fair skinned neopolitan grandfather...italian features..what what??

I'm sure this is probably due to my "muddied" bloodline (as Carl would say...btw..is he gone yet...phew!)
softouch115

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous