ok now which passport do i use? when?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

ok now which passport do i use? when?

Postby nmecion » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:45 am

when you receive your italian passport (through ancestry) how do i travel to italy. when i leave america i show my american passport but then what do i show entering italy? and leaving italy? and returning to america? is there anything i need to know with booking my flights and names and passport # for my ticket info.

also is there any negatives i should be aware of with carrying 2 passports?

thanks so much guys

by the way getting this passport has been a long road but the though of my children being citizens of a place where my great grandparents lived is truly amazing :)
nmecion

Re: ok now which passport do i use? when?

Postby Monica » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:49 pm

I asked this questino before. I believe when you are entering Italy use your Itailan passport and when you are enterting america use your american passport.
Monica

Postby Orange » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:14 pm

The way I understand it is that you can travel as either an American or Italian, it's your choice. It would be easier to enter a country using that particular passport so that's how I would go. Both countries recognize you as their citizen and also recognize that it is OK to be a dual citizen. Personally I would keep one on your person and the other stowed away so as not to confuse anyone while traveling.
Orange

Postby Davide » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:05 pm

While Italy does recognize dual citizenship for its citizens, she does not place them on equal status. As far as the Italian Goverment is concerned, you are an Italian citizen and must conform to Italian law. From what I understand, as an Italian citizen you must enter Italy and leave Italy using your Italian passport. Failure to do so, could result in fines. In speaking with an Italian official about this very subject his response was: "Senta, signore, per noi lei e' solo italiano."
Davide

Return to Miscellaneous