reason for acquiring dualcitizenship/family unsupportive

General.

Moderator: Daniel

reason for acquiring dualcitizenship/family unsupportive

Postby Monica » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:32 pm

My family gives me a hard time for doing this. They are always saying stuff like "What are you going to do after your finished?" and "why are you doing this, whats the point."

Anyone else having lack of support from there family? Really it just upsets me and makes me feel foolish.
For motivation purposes what is your story what keeps you going to get your dual citizenship?
Monica

Re: reason for acquiring dualcitizenship/family unsupportive

Postby tonyric » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:43 am

My family is not unsupportive, but in many ways ambivalent. What I used for motivation/to keep me motivated was my own desire. But, I learned a long time ago not to let my own feelings be driven by family members.
tonyric

Postby Roberto » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Monica

My parents were supportive and in some ways jealous. They were born in Italy and can only reaquire their citizenship if they move and live in Italy for a year. My brothers probably would want to do it....but time and effort is an issue for them.
For me it was several issues...
pride in my heritiage and where my ancestors came from
the ability to tell my company that if they need someone to go to Europe for work....I have an Italian passport and can work anywhere (italy preferred)
my wife loves Italy and dreams of becoming a citizen herself (through marriage) and maybe retiring there????

Go for it and enjoy it. I know I did.

Roberto
Roberto

Postby stefanaccio » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:36 am

I also say go for it. My son studying in England. Likely would not have been possible if he was not Italian citizen. Huge price difference also.

villacasale.net
stefanaccio

Postby uwlaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:55 am

Although my close family was supportive, my extended family was all ambivilent. Then they saw my Italian Passport. Now they all have appointments at the Consulate to apply themselves.
uwlaw

Return to Miscellaneous