Where to apply?

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Where to apply?

Postby cjcaminiti » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:35 am

My husband (the Italian) and I have moved to Lochcarron, Scotland. Due to a complete re-vamp of UK immigration policy, we can only be full time residents if Tony becomes an Italian citizen! (Isn't that a hoot--become Italian to live in Scotland!) We moved from Oregon, but all of the necessary documents are located in New York. Tony's brother has been a PEACH and is scurrying around to the various official places to get what we need. Trouble is, Tony has an Oregon driver's license. We just found out, thanks to this forum, that going through the New York consulate would be far faster than San Francisco. Plus we ARE no longer Oregon residents. How fussy is the NY consulate about providing proof of residence? Tony does own half of his brother's house on Long Island, but the utility bills are all in Tom's name. Would it be as simple as Tony getting a New York driver's license? OR, should we have Tom be the applicant along with Tony? Any advice would be most appreciated. Until this is resolved we can only live in our new home 6 months of the year. As an aside, the easiest part of this whole process so far has been getting Grandpa's 1880 birth certificate from a teensy village at the southern end of Calabria. An Italian friend called the commune, and two men spent two days searching out the info and mailed everything to us without asking for a penny. (Yes, we are sending them both thank you gifts, but some things are beyond recompense.)
cjcaminiti

Re: Where to apply?

Postby tonyric » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:32 am

If you both are in Scotland, why don't you go through the consulate in Edinburgh? http://www.amblondra.esteri.it/Ambasciata_Londra/Menu/Ambasciata/La_rete_consolare/
tonyric

Re: Where to apply?

Postby cjcaminiti » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:10 pm

The ICGS website is quite clear that one has to apply in the country of one's citizenship at the consulate having jurisdiction over where one lives. I believe the problem is solved, as we can be New York residents with relative ease. I called for an appointment today and was given one in mid-August--much better than San Francisco!
cjcaminiti

Return to Miscellaneous