If I get dual citizenship, can I live and work in the UK

General.

Moderator: Daniel

If I get dual citizenship, can I live and work in the UK

Postby S.W. » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:53 am

I read that Italian citizens can live and work in any country in the European Union without a VISA or Work Permit, is this true? Will living in the UK affect my Italian or American Citizenship? Thanks!!
S.W.

Re: If I get dual citizenship, can I live and work in the UK

Postby RomaBound » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:57 am

As an Italian citizen, your ability to enter, move about, work, etc, within Italy is absolute.

As an EU citizen, your ability to enter, move about, work, etc, within another EU country is much better than that of a non-EU citizen but not absolute. You could, for example , move to Italy with no funds and no source of income and soon become a welfare case; you (as an Italian citizen) will not be allowed to do the same thing in the UK.

Visit this page for lots of useful info: [URL]http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/[/URL]. Note in particular under "Rights and Responsibilities",

[QUOTE]
EEA and Swiss nationals have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom. This is called the right of residence. You will only have the right of residence in the United Kingdom if:

you are an EEA or Swiss national; and
you are working in the United Kingdom (and have registered or obtained permission from us if this is required - see Employment section below); or
you are able to support yourself and your family in the United Kingdom without becoming an unreasonable burden on public funds
[/QUOTE]
RomaBound

Return to Miscellaneous