appointment on February 2, 2010

General.

Moderator: Daniel

appointment on February 2, 2010

Postby bluejayway » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:42 pm

I have an appointment in February. I will be applying through my mother's father. I have his naturalization papers with notary. I have his birth and marriage certificates, the latter with seal. I also have my mother’s birth and marriage certificates with seal and my birth and marriage with seal.

I was unable to obtain my grandfather’s death certificate, as no one knows where in Italy he died.

Does my wife need her birth certificate with seal and do my children have to be present to get their citizenship? They are 25 and 27 years of age. Thank you for any answers or advice.
bluejayway

Re: appointment on February 2, 2010

Postby RomaBound » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:56 pm

When did you marry? If on or before April 23, 1983 (okay, I can never remember the exact day, but it's near the end of the month), your wife will *automatically* be granted citizenship at the same time your's is granted. In that case, you will definitely want to submit her certified/translated/apostiled birth certificate along with the rest of your application.

If you married after that date, her citizenship will be a much more complex (and costly) process and will have to wait until after you are recognized first.

As to your children, I can tell you that NYC and LA consulates have apparently seen the light and made the process as simple as can be. After your citizenship is recognized, you can simply register their births using an AIRE form just as you would for a newborn. I did this myself for my 23 year-old son; the process was painless and took less than a week for approval. As an example, see the section titles "HOW TO REGISTER A CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH/MARRIAGE/DEATH" on the NYC consulate website, http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consolato_NewYork/Menu/I_Servizi/Per_i_cittadini/Stato_civile/

I would assume the other consulates are following suit with this simplified procedure.
RomaBound

Postby bluejayway » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:35 am

Thank you, Romabound. We were married in 1980, that is a relief. My daughter put me up to this when she was in Italy for a semester. Have you any information on the need for a death certificate. I have emailed the consulate, but they ignored the question.
Thank you,
Larry
bluejayway

Postby RomaBound » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:20 am

Which death certificate(s) are you missing? Which consulate will you file your application?

As a rule, all consulates require all birth/marriage/death certificates for all ancestors in the direct line. Example Me -> my US-born father -> my Italy-born grandfather. Some consulates also demand documents for the non "Italian" line as well - my mother and my grandmother in the example.

PS: You will also need photocopies of your wife's US passport (if she has one) and driver's license.
RomaBound

Postby JM » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:09 pm

Depends on which consulate you are applying through. The Miami consulate does NOT need any death certificates. Good luck with your application process.
JM

Postby bluejayway » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Thank you JM and RomaBound,

I am applying in NY. I am missing my maternal grandfather's death certificate. I just realized that I need my grandmother's birth and death certificates as well. They will be sent from PA. I hope they do not need the apostile. As it is probably too late to send them back to PA. I'm in CT.
bluejayway

Postby RomaBound » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm

When I submitted my application at the NYC consulate in mid-2008, certificates were not required for persons not in the direct line but death certificates (for direct line) were required. From what I have been reading, New York now requires non-direct line documents as well. Why? Lord only knows! I don't know anyone who has decipered the Italian law regarding citizenship jure sanguinis and found a place where it says the consulates need to take into account the non-direct line, especially when going entirely through an all-male lineage.
RomaBound

Return to Miscellaneous