Carta d'identità

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Carta d'identità

Postby sma_15 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:32 am

This may be a rather dumb question but, is it only possible to obtain one by being resident in Italy or can it be obtained from an embassy or consulate? Also, is a codice fiscale needed if you reside abroad?
sma_15

Re: Carta d'identità

Postby LookingEast » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:04 pm

I believe that every citizen newly recognized through a consulate is given a codice fiscale in the process.

My stato civile registration at my comune includes my codice fiscale. I can view my registration using the comune's web portal. Either the comune or the consulate should be able to let you know your codice fiscale.

In fact, there are many websites which can tell you your codice fiscale. It is produced from your name, your gender, and your date and location of birth. Thus it is not a sequence which you could expect to keep secret.

I don't know about the carta d'identità though.

EDIT

I just looked at a web page from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

It says that the carte d'identità are issued only by the consulates in the European Union, plus Switzerland, Norway, Monaco, and San Marino.

http://www.esteri.it/MAE/IT/Ministero/Servizi/Imprese/
Sportello_Info/DomandeFrequenti/
UfficiServiziConsolariEstero/Carta_Identita.htm

This link is typed on three lines, so you may have to copy and paste them separately into the address bar of your web browser.
LookingEast

Return to Miscellaneous