Downside??

General.

Moderator: Daniel

Downside??

Postby italybr » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:29 am

We qualify for and are working toward gathering all of the necessary documents to make application for dual citizenship.

Now for a question I haven't seen asked in any form: what are the downsides to being an Italian citizen? Will we have to: pay more taxes, follow rules that do not apply as a long term residents, be subject to restrictions that we are not subject to now, etc., etc..

We know that everythng has a downside, nothing is perfect, so there are probably things we would want to know of before hand. We also recognize the "law of unexpected consequences" so what should we be looking out for in the way of problems after we are dual citiizens.

Not that any of thise issues will stop us we just like to minimize surprises.
italybr

Postby Anonymous » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:21 am

I thought I read that you DID NOT qualify.

anyway, there is NO downside to living in Italy, as it is the greatest country and most beautiful country to live in. The arts, music, theatre, entertainment, culture, language, way of life, and the generous freedoms, is more than enough reason why over 2 million people illegal and legal attempt to reach our shores each year.

No, there is no downside, that I can see. La dolci vita e qui
Anonymous

Pros/Cons

Postby mfk » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:42 pm

Actually, la dolce vita è qui.

I would suggest doing some Internet searches with words like "benefits," "dual citizenship," and "Italian." You'll come up with some pages that also list the flip side--but I agree that the flip side doesn't amount to much, IMHO.
mfk

Postby jcallori » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:50 pm

There are very few downsides as noted by previous posters. The only potential cause for concern - and this would apply only to a limited number of persons - would be for those currently holding or hoping to hold positions in the United States requiring a security clearance. Obstacles would surely present themselves for those within agencies such as the FBI and the CIA, but often even less obvious agencies, the IRS for example, demand certain employees have a security clearance. Whilst this isn't a serious issue for most people, obtaining another citizenship could jeopardise such positions, for either current employees or future applicants.

Jordan
jcallori

Postby mich555444 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:54 pm

In regards to the downside. When I get my citizenship recognized, my minor children get theirs as well. So, does this mean I will have put some restrictions on their future choice of occupation ?
I certainly dont plan to work for the FBI or CIA or run for President, but if my children decide to do that, will they be able to?
mich555444

Postby Tiffany » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:20 pm

I think they would. Most of the security clearance problems are bigger if the person actually naturalized (meaning it was voluntary) vs a birthright. The government realizes it was not intentional when a person is just born with it. I have heard of such cases being tried and the outcome is usually to grant the person security clearance - as long as he or she does not show a clear preference (or have active ties) to the foreign country.
Tiffany

Postby Em » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Actually, I know several people, my cousin among them, who have security clearances who would not consider dual citizenship for just that reason. I read of a recent lawsuit (and please forgive me, but I don't have the source) in which someone was denied clearance because he, and his immediate family, held dual citizenship.

If I recall correctly, in this case, even though he was willing to renounce his second citizenship, immediate family members were dual citizens, and he was denied clearance. I believe he won the lawsuit but did renounce his second citizenship. Renouncing is required by the FBI, so I guess this is always an option.

I think it's only fair to point out that although the U.S. permits dual citizenship, it does not encourage it. Clearly, it would prefer that there be no question of a citizen's loyalty particularly if that citizen holds a sensitive position. And let's face it; people are more paranoid post 9/11 than they were before.

You may be interested in the State Department's take on dual citizenship. They make a determination on a case-to-case basis, but clearly there is a concern:

http://tscm.com/access.html

http://www.careers.state.gov/officer/jo ... tizen.html
Em

Return to Miscellaneous