Miami

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Miami

Postby LAD » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:51 am

Does anyone have any clue on how long the wait times for Miami are? I applied on dec. 4th and havent received my papers yet. My mother applied on aug. 20th and received hers in middle september. My application is way easier than hers because i have applied through my mother and all of my papers are within the Miami jurisdiction, they dont have to hear back from anyone. When I called Virginia, she said that they are just now working on august applications and that all applications have to be taken in order. That's clearly not the case, why would she not just tell the truth?

Saluti
alex
LAD

Re: Miami

Postby FlaSeeker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:56 pm

They seem to be running about six months behind, I think. I applied in early Sept. and they told me then it would be about six weeks. I just got my letter today in mid-April, so don't get discouraged. It will happen; it just takes time.
FlaSeeker

Postby terminus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:01 pm

FlaSeeker wrote :
> They seem to be running about six months behind, I think. I applied in
> early Sept. and they told me then it would be about six weeks. I just got
> my letter today in mid-April, so don't get discouraged. It will happen; it
> just takes time.

Congratulation, and thanks for the update.

I guess I won't hear back for a few more months. Too bad, since I told myself I would not go back to Europe until I had an EU passport. I guess this is what I get for being **** :)
terminus

Postby LAD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:20 am

I just dont see how they could have fallen six months behind in two weeks of applications since my mother applied in late aug. and you in early sept, and she recieved hers in midsept. Theyre not being entirely honest and that is what is making me angry. Im sitting here in europe ready to work, but cannot do anything, and all they have to do is check my one document that is in their jurisdiction, they dont have to hear from anyone, it could take no more than 2 minutes.
LAD

Postby terminus » Fri May 28, 2010 6:16 pm

I applied on January 14, 2010, with documents/ancestors under the jurisdictions of Boston and New York. I received my citizenship letter from Miami on May 22, 2010.
terminus

Postby terminus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:00 pm

I went and applied for (and received) my passport in Miami today.

A few things that might help others...

1. Bring cash. The costs on the website were off by a few dollars due to dollar-euro exchange rates. I had brought a money order for the amount shown on the website and ended up over-paying a few dollars.

2. Bring a 35 x 45 mm photo. This is slightly smaller than US standard. I had brought a 30x40 mm, and it was fine, but there's a bit of "white space" on my passport now.

3. Don't pre-pay for a return envelope. They ended up processing my passport while I was there. They now have to imbed your biometrics into the passport cover, so they do it while you wait.

I was quite surprised and pleased to get everyone done today. Now one of these days I can just pick up and move.
terminus

Postby JMMalley » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:28 pm

That's good news, terminus! Did you have to submit a set of officially processed fingerprints?
JMMalley

Postby terminus » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:53 pm

JMMalley wrote :
> That's good news, terminus! Did you have to submit a set of officially
> processed fingerprints?

I'm not sure what you mean. I had to go to the consulate and put my finger on their scanner. That was the only fingerprinting and it must be done in-person.
terminus

Postby AmeliaD23 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:41 pm

Hi, I was just wondering if you received your citizenship yet? I had my appointment in early June 2010 and I was told they are still working on October 2009 applications. I asked how long, maybe six or seven months wait?? She told me maybe but it could be even longer! Hopefully I will have mine by next summer.

Does anyone have any idea of the process to why it takes so long. Do they double check the documents with the source or is everybody and their brother applying and there is just too much work??

In my case I had all the documents requested, she made me fill out an Italian Citizen living abroad form and the form that my ascendents never renounced their citizenship, she made notes on sticky note paper stuck them on each document and then told me it would be awhile and not to contact them unless they contact me first. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Has anyone ever heard of everything going smoothly and then after the appointment something going wrong? If so what are common problems?

Good luck to everyone :)
AmeliaD23

Postby MiamiItalian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:00 pm

I applied in late Feb in Miami and was told 3-4 months, but haven't received a reply yet.
MiamiItalian

Postby celtic » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:10 am

I applied in december 2009, was told it would take 2-3 months, and just got the letter in the mail 2 weeks ago. It took a while, but it was worth it.
celtic

Postby cosenz14 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:42 pm

I am considering applying in Miami, but haven't moved into the jurisdiction yet. How long was the wait time to get an an appointment in Miami?
cosenz14

Return to Embassies and Consulates