Newark Consulate

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Re: Newark Consulate

Postby Gianna75010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:17 am

I have an appointment at the Newark consulate in November and I have a few questions as I am finishing up gathering the last documents.

My great grandfather never became a US citizen. What documents do I need to provide to prove he never became a US citizen? I am trying to get statements of no record from USCIS, National Archives, and the County Court as well as certified copies of the census and his Alien File (including a letter stating no record of naturalization within the A-file). Which ones will they specifically ask to see?

What documents need the apostille? Is it just birth certificate, marriage certificates and death certificates or other documents as well? Do the statements of no record from USCIS/NARA/County Court need apostilles? How about certified copies of the census and a-files?

What documents need to be translated? Again is it just birth certificate, marriage certificates and death certificates? Do documents proving no record of naturalization need to be translated as well? Do you need to provide a notarized letter certifying the translations are true and accurate?

Also, does anyone know how long it takes to get citizenship once all the correct documents have been submitted? I've heard any where from a couple of months to a couple of years. I'm hoping it's the former and not the latter.

Thanks for your help.

Gianna
Gianna75010

Re: Newark Consulate

Postby bealudobona » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:29 pm

You will also need a certification of nonexistence of record from USCIS - this is different from the "no records" ltr. I have requested mine concurrently with the index search.
Only the US vital records require an apostille and translation. The naturalization and census records do not require an apostille/translation - they will not be sent to Italy.
Please report back on your appointment - I have scheduled appointments for my parents in 2011 and would love to hear how your's went. Good Luck!
bealudobona

Previous

Return to Embassies and Consulates