Italian Citizenship via Marriage

Share information about your experiences with the citizenship department of a particular Italian (or other) embassy or consulate.

Moderator: Daniel

Italian Citizenship via Marriage

Postby adolfo2 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:07 am

Had our interview at the NYC consulate this past Friday for “Italian Citizenship via Marriage”. Everything went well except for a minor glitch and one “show stopper”.

· They wanted the actual “FBI Fingerprint Card” translated into Italian and not just the “No Arrest Record” found result. They were kind enough to do it on the spot for us!

· They also wanted a “Good Conduct Letter” from our local police department, which I hadn’t procured. The wording on the NYC consulate website implied that one is needed only if you are a NYC resident (we’re not). I wrongly assumed it wasn’t required if you reside somewhere else so I owe them one by the end of the month.
adolfo2

Postby Angelo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:30 pm

Hello Adolfo,

Can you clarify the process for gaining citizenship through marriage please? The consulate told me that my wife would have to either naturalize (a four year process or longer, requiring fluency in Italian).

My children and I are Italian citizens through ancestry. The three of us hold current Italian passports. I see below, from the Italian embassy's site, that someone may become an Italian citizen through marriage. We've been married much longer than the three years . . .

Is this process different from naturalization?

Thanks for any help

http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Am ... tadinanza/

2. Marriage to an Italian citizen;

The requirements include:

legal residence in Italy for at least 6 months after marriage or 3 years of matrimony if residing abroad;

valid marriage certificate;

absence of criminal record;

absence of impediments associated with national security.

Applications for citizenship are to be addressed to the Ministry of the Interior and presented to the Prefecture in the Province of residence, if residing in Italy, or the diplomatic-consular authorities if residing abroad.
Angelo

Re: Italian Citizenship via Marriage

Postby brownie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:55 am

adolfo2 wrote:Had our interview at the NYC consulate this past Friday for “Italian Citizenship via Marriage”.

hi adolfo2,

Just curious, what did they ask in this interview? I'd be submitting my citizenship application soon as spouse of an Italian citizen and quite nervous of this interview! How long does it take by the way?

Thanks in advance for your reply..

Brownie
brownie

Postby adolfo2 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:31 pm

They asked my wife nothing, zip, zilch, nada other than to please sign here.

We were done in approx. one & 1/2 hours. It takes time to go through the documents and pay for the bollo on all of them.
adolfo2

How long did it take?

Postby Angelo » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:32 pm

Hi Adolfo, and others,

How long ago did your wife apply? The consulate in Boston told me it could take 4 years or so for my wife's naturalization through marriage to go through, and by then there would likely be a language requirement. Your post makes me think we should just go ahead and apply . ..

Please let me know,
thanks
angelo
Angelo

Postby adolfo2 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:52 pm

We applied in June of this year.

Supposidly they have up to 2-years time to grant a spouse citizenship based on marriage to an Italian. We shall see!
adolfo2

Return to Embassies and Consulates